Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MMORPGs

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Jul 1, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Who else steers clear of these things?

Mass Multiplater Online Role Playing Games. I steer clear cause they all have a limited life. In a few years if I'm bored and decide to play, the servers could easily be gone and I have a disc worth NOTHING. Its happened a few times already. I just don't like a game that has a limited useful life.

Anyone play some of these games and feel its worth it? I've often considered the Final Fantasy XI game but again, will it be gone next year?

2. google

google 1/2 ton status

I played everquest for about a year and a half. It's not going anywhere any time sooon. EQII is out and EQ is still running strong. A lot of them come and go, but that only because they suck and nobody wants to play them. EQ isn't ever going to go away. I quit playing though. I had kids and got married.... in that order.... and had to be threatened with divorce before I pulled my head out. I won't even try and play another one. I'll just stick to PS2 and non multiplayer computer games.

BUT, if you want one that you can do for hours and hours and days on end and you think of nothing but that no matter what you are doing and you start spending money online for videogame money and if it crashed you would cry and shoot yourself in the head, try EQ2 or Starwars Galaxies. Both are good for that.

[​IMG]

3. H0BBEZ

H0BBEZ Registered Member

I just recently started playing World of WarCraft. It's pretty addicting. Given Blizzard's track record with online game (you can still play Diablo, WarCraft II and StarCraft on Battle.net) I think it's another one that you don't have to worry about going away anytime soon.

4. google

google 1/2 ton status

Those are quite a bit different though. A lot of games like that are hosted on peoples personal computers or a personal server. Counterstrike is like that too. People that are TOO addicted set up there own public server. Everquest is a world of its own and you don't have to worry about hackers. In all the time I played, I never ran into a hacker. Even if I did, they would get reported and booted forever. Most were too addicted to chance that.

5. H0BBEZ

H0BBEZ Registered Member

WoW is a MMORPG and is a lot like EverQuest interms of being a "world of its own". The others I mentioned are not MMORPGs but they are generally played online on Battle.net which is run by Blizzard and partners rather than personal servers. My only point there being that Blizzard has maintained that system for its older games for quiet a while now as I expect they will with WoW.

6. google

google 1/2 ton status

Yeah, they are good for that, but they still have a massive hacker problem. I really enjoy warcraft/starcraft online play though. Tons of fun and doesn't cost anything past the buy of the game. But diablo online stunk. More hackers than non hackers. At least with starcraft/warcraft, you could just find someone else to play with. WoW though, I dunno. I haven't played that before. I've seen video of it being played when someone went nutso during a raid and ran into a room screaming successfully pulling the whole room out and killing everyone in the group. That was amusing. Looks cool though.

7. H0BBEZ

H0BBEZ Registered Member

LOL

I think that's the same video that finally made me break down and buy the game. "Alright, times up, let's do this. LEEEEEROOOOY JEEENNNKIIIINS! "

8. google

google 1/2 ton status

HAHAHAHAHA THAT WAS IT :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

9. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I feel the same way about MMORPG's as I do about book reading clubs, they pervert something that should be an epic personal interpretation to watered down multiple interpretation. That's why I hated reading novels in school. Goddddd............

I'm pretending FFXI never existed

Also, keep in mind you're going to run into the absolute dregs of society playing these things, imagine Timmy the Paladin telling you his Ragnarok sword is the B3$+0RZZZ

Bleg

I played Diablo II online once.... nonononononono

10. google

google 1/2 ton status

In other words, 1f y0u c4n r34d 7h1$, y0u n33d 70 g37 l41d

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I remember that, FUNNY stuff.

I played CS for a long time. Got a life and stopped playing, now I lost all my 1337 $|<i11z.

As for reading books in school, I was always the kid in class raising my hand asking the teacher, "How can you tell us what the author means? Have you ever spoken to Shakespeare?"

12. Resurrection_Joe

Repeating stupid things you read on t shirts is not the same as having a real snse of humour

13. google

google 1/2 ton status

The things I would say about people like you would get me kicked off of this forum. Who are you? Go ahead, give another good answer. We're all waiting.

14. Resurrection_Joe

I'm a man with an opinion

Don't get so bent up

You comment in a thread that everyone is uptight and should be rude and get yourself upset because I commented on your bland and repetitious humour.

Har har har, look what I saw on a t shirt

Whatever

Anyway, no hard feeling outside of this, I like ya dude

15. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

yeah... I played EQ in a different life. I acatually made real world $$ doing iot too mmmmwwwuuuaahahhahahaha but what made me give it up was the fact that it was time and life consuming. I guess if I were to have a gf/wife that was into it also and we both enjoyed playing it together (and I stillmade real world money playing it) then I could foresee myself getting into it again... but then again I would miss the simple things in life like the woods and the ocean and hiking and camping and sleep and sanity lol

16. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

and another thing...

long live RJ :waytogo:

17. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

yes I am quotig myself.. get over it...

I actually played 24/7 (literally not egagerating at all) at one point. Takea min nap between zones and you were good to get up and get another beer to go on with gameplay... it's really similar to crak lol insane ludacris and wtf would I want to go back to it for? hahahhahaha

18. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

I had books taken away during classes where you were sposed to be doing other stuff. ie. math science... etc... then I turned to writing... who would have thought paper and pen would appear like I was takig notes instead of writing novels which I was actually doing. :haha: :rotfl:

19. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

I wasted 4 years of my life on Everquest... not entirely a waste, but 90%... I met lots of people in the game who I met in real life later, and I had a great time playing, but I missed a lot of real life while playing it... I made real world money too, but in the end of my game time, the only reason I was still playing was to find out the next money making tradeskill hack... I finally figured it out, and quit... didn't even try to sell my accounts... I just quit. I had a high level Bard (singer) and got him there in about 2 weeks of play time... but that came at a cost of 2 weeks of not seeing my wife. Big mistake.

20. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

who plays world of warcraft??

im thinking about buying it soon