Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mo Offroad Outfitters - Truss/Diff cover review on my site

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mudzer, Dec 13, 2001.

1. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

3. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Cool, all your photo's so the install out of the vehicle, is this how you did it ?

4. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

He did send it to me, I just have to work on getting all the memberships activated by Saturday first, if I didn't have a damn day job I would be caught up already.

Steve

Director of Global Expansion

5. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

No problem Steve, I just was anxious to see what everyone thought.

Executioner, the truss was installed on a housing which was used as a display at the Indy Jamboree. I bought the parts from Steve and took photos on the housing. You wouldnt want to see install pics of my truck, its much to dirty and rusty colored underneath! [​IMG] The final pic shows how dirty I get things when wheeling. Notice in the pic where the Blazer is in the crevasse, I went through a mudhole as deep as the mud was on the truck. Had water/mud bubbling in through the old leaky door seals, plus coming through my shifter boots!

Mudzer 1978/91 K5
    <font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://www.mudzer.rockcrawler.com>www.mudzer.rockcrawler.com</a></font color=blue>

6. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Thanks, get some air time, and please report back !

7. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Hey Neil, that really looks great and very tough. Can you tell how much the whole setup weights? Not only because of the unsprung weight factor, but for shipping purposes [​IMG]. Is that big lip on top of the housing part of the cover or part of the truss?

Also, what exactly is the bearing preload option for? I just know it's good and helps prevent something breaking, but what is the theory behind this?

Thanks, and keep on testing it [​IMG]

<font color=purple>//////
    <a target="_blank" href=http://blazer79.freeyellow.com>blazer79.freeyellow.com</a></font color=purple><font color=black>
    Soon a 454 K5!!</font color=black>
    [​IMG]

8. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

I will butt in and answer for Neil(if you don't mind of course!). The 12 bolt truss and cover weigh about 40 pounds. The 14 bolt ff version weighs 55 pounds. Shipping for both using UPS should be about $25.00 anywhere in the US. The bearing preload prevents the bearing cap from ''eggshaping'' under load allowing the race to spin causing damage to the carrier bearings. This is a common occurence with high torque loads. In 14 bolt ff axles it is not uncommon for the bearing cap farthest away from the ring gear to actually break in two where the spanner retainer bolt goes in. This usually occurs in very high torque loads. The most common occurence of this I have seen is in pulling trucks.

<font color=green>Steve Frisbie</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.mooffroadoutfitters.rockcrawler.com>www.mooffroadoutfitters.rockcrawler.com</a>