Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MOAB Caravan, Who is gonna make it?**UPDATED**>>>

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by Burt4x4, Jul 15, 2002.

1. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hey Dawgs, Well as the time clicks on the raod trip of the year for me is getting closer and closer...

Just wana let everyone know what the plans are for caravaning to Moab via Las Vegas. ALL or welcome to join up anywere along the way into Moab. I have never been to Vegas or Moab so I do not know the route except for what the map tells me.
    So here is the plan:
    Leaving on Wednesday Aug. 21st heading South on Hwy99 in to Bakersfield. From there takeing the Hwy58 East to Barstow and jumping on the Hwy15 heading NorthEast into Las Vegas. Just North of Las Vegas there is a Flying J truckstop right off the Hwy15. This will be the rest stop until EARLY Thursday moring the 22nd. From there we take Hwy15 NEast to Cove Fort heading due East on Hwy70 until we reach Hwy191 and head SouthEast into Moab. From there I'm lost, but what I hear Moab is not that big so I'm sure we will find the group campground site.

The idea is that if all can get to Vegas sometime Wednesday night so that the whole caravan can leave Vegas for the final leg into MOAB /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif
    Oh and if someone has a better idea than the Flying J for a rest stop that ALL can find, please speak up.
    Let's start a role call here for the caravan so we can get a rig count/idea on how many are gonna make it.... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    If you can't make this caravan then we will see you there!!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

2. LiftedAssDodge

LiftedAssDodge 1/2 ton status

Re: MOAB Caravan, Who is gonna make it?>>>

vegas is sweet!

3. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Uhhhhhhhhh,Im in /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

You still swingin by my house on the way?

4. Priest

Priest Registered Member

I would highly reccomend driving at night. Once you leave Bakersfield all there are is a bunch of little podunk towns. Hwy 15 is nothing but waste land and desert. I'm sure a lot of your guys will be running sans top so if you drive it during the day you'll fry. I've been through there when it was 120-125 degrees and it isn't fun. Even at night you can expect temps in the 90's. Good luck and hope yall have a good time.

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Yup! Or on Hwy99 wereever...really no hurry. I figure a good 8-9 hours to get to Vegas for me. So even if I left my house at 8am, still get to Vegas by 6pm or so. Is that too early? Oh hell it don't matter I guess!!As long as we make it there! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hmmmmm, that hot egh?/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif
    hmmmmm well don't know if I will have a choice going to Vegas. But Leaving Vegas I suppose we could leave there at 1am or so, after a nap session?
    I'm up for whatever everyone else is up for!!??

7. FRIZZLEFRY

Better git yer top fixed or yer gonna be lobster boy on the first day /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ya I will just use my wife's sewing machine to fix it!! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

9. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm in.....! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Where do the San Jose / Fremont / Milpitas Dawgs connect to the caravan? Hwy 99 somehow...? I haven't studied a map yet, so I don't have a mental picture of the route leaving the Bay Area....

I'm with Priest though....Since you crazy bastards want to drive the hottest POSSIBLE route to Moab, we should at least use a little "common sense" and do the driving when it's cooler..... breaking down on the side of the road in 120 degree heat is NOT what I'm after!!!! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

10. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Nor do I want to be busted in the heat!
    What do you suggest?
    Is there a different route we should take?
    Heck it's our carravan we can go anyway we want!!
    I don't know if Hwy 80 is going to add a ton of miles or what?? MapQuest sent me thru Vegas from my house. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

11. Priest

Priest Registered Member

I think your pretty much screwed no matter which way you go. You've got to cross Nevada so it's going to be hot /forums/images/icons/cool.gif. Also remember that on hwy 15 everyone is driving 80mph+ so if your capable you can make good time. Regaurdless of what you do...your still driving across 1/3 of the country so it's a long drive...

12. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ahh, Ok. Well going thru Vegas we would only be in Nevada for a short while but I guess SEast Cali and SWest Utah are HOT too /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif
    80mph!! Dang, no way my rig can do that for any length of time!! at 65 I'm turning 2800rpm /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif
    Thanks for your info!!

13. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

2800RPM? HA! Thats nothin...On the way to and from Blazer Fest, I was runnin 3100-3200RPM for 3 hours straight. Nothin has blown up yet. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

14. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Well my rig is a bit different. If I was to spin like that for that amount of time my drive train would be WAY too HOT!! I am 100% old school, nothin but raw gears in gear oil /forums/images/icons/grin.gif no fancy shmancy cushssy preety riding rigs for me /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif
    heheheh J/k

15. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

I'm sure the caravan will only be running 60 or 65 MPH down the road. I don't think I can make the caravan. If I get to go at all it would be Thursday after work leaving here getting into Moab Friday afternoon then leaving Sunday night to get back here Monday night.

16. FRIZZLEFRY

I think Chaz has you all beat.I think he said he spins 4k down the freeway sometimes /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

17. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

hahahaha I think your right!! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

18. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Well Dave I hate to say it but if you don't even know if your going by now you most likly will not make it /forums/images/icons/frown.gif .
    Atleast that is how it works in my family.....
    I'll take pictures for you /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

19. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

Thanks,

Well I was all set to go but a couple weeks ago Dakota's mom decided to let me know he was getting braces and that I needed to fess up half the down payment in two days and then $100 a month for 11 months. I had the $660 needed for gas for the Moab trip and $600 went for his braces. So that means I need to find a way to make that $600 back in the next couple of weeks or I don't go.

If I don't make it then I wanna see all your pic's when you get back.

David

20. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I think that is what they call "Life Happens"! There allways seams to be something that comes up like that!! As much as we all would like to put wheelin first,, family is always first!
    Knock Knock on wood for me! I haven't left for Moab yet /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif
    Good Luck and hope to see you there!