Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Moab heat no joke come prepared leave the littles at home or camp

Discussion in 'Blazer Bash' started by Butch, Jul 8, 2002.

1. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Just came back yesterday from Moab. 103 during the day. If you come bring mucho water, MINIMUM 1.5 gal per person per day, Beer does not Count!, plus some for overheating vehicles. If your cooling system is marginal then dont even consider it to be up to the task. My truck runs 195 always. During the heat of the day it got to 215 twice and I would have to let it cool back off before continuing. I would not plan to bring any small children or we could have big problems on the trails and many of them do not have easy exits (IE hospital access) ((This is a very serious matter they had a biker who was in shape that died in 5 hours out there after getting separated from his group with no water)) so please think your child stratagy . Any wives that can not handle extreme heat would be advised to stay in town or at home. I wheeled from 7:30 P.M. a couple of times to avoid the heat. Shade does not exist in Moab and the red rocks make it even hotter.

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

awesome post /forums/images/icons/grin.gif please take the advice and remember the kids,wifes,also dont forget about your pets either if you leve your dog in camp make sure it has plenty of water to

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Good reminder!
    For me it is 103 today and supose to be 110 by Wednesday. The Valley heat here in Cali gets perrty damn hot!! Great for testing cooling systems and such /forums/images/icons/wink.gif I am use to the heat but if you are not then come prepared!!

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

1st question, what the heck are you doing in Moab in the summer!? Only reason I'm going in august is because everyone else is!

Lots of good points from tim and his good buddy/truck, Butch. It is dangerously hot, or can be if you don't take care of yourself. It doesn't cool off at night much, you guys from wet climates that get hot will feel great till you forget to drink because you don't feel like you're sweating much, trucks will suffer, etc. Be prepared.
    Tim's suggestions are good, also:
    Sunscreen for all, and big hats help.
    I carry a weed sprayer full of water to mist oil coolers and radiators with, it would be wise to have them in most trucks. They'll drop your truck temp right away and don't use a whole lot of water to do it. They cost $15 to $20 and also work good for washing hands and other stuff.
    A 5 gal jug of water in each truck is not overkill if we have a long day.
    DRINK your water. In an 8 hour day on the trail you should drink about a quart every hour to hour and a half. That's a lot of water. You'll get grumpy as you dehydrate and then we'll make you drink, so just do it. If you're not peein' you're not getting enough.

This isn't a major survival test but it can turn into one without much going wrong if you're not prepared and aware. More of a problem for us is the fact that we could hurt the fun factor and that would be really bad.

5. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Very good advice, I ran a few trails in 120 degree heat and still had fun but things CAN turn ugly so please be ready. Maybe I should change the name to "Blazer Bash Survivor Series" /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

I missed Dirk so bad I had to go and see him. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif Actually took the mother in law there to see the place. Spent a lot of time at Ken's Lake instead of on the trail.

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

drink water is right!!! With my kidney problem dehydration = kidney stone attack. Bad times! I think we should all plan on bringing LOTS of water with us on the trail... that way if someone else needs some (rock bashes the cooler?) then we can help each other out.

J

8. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i'm ok, it's hotter here in vegas. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

9. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Dam, 103!.....hummmm...Black truck,No AC, 103 degrees, dust.....
    Maybe I will do the run the ends up at the river for a evening swim /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif . Good advice Tim. Anyone got a 4wd water truck? Glad I decided on the soft top instead of the winch.

10. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

ummm.... im scared..... /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif what will the temp be at the end of August ?

11. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Hmm, I'm looking forward to that cool weather. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif It was 113 today IIRC. Plus we had some humidity. That's while I was working on my cage in the drive way!

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

113? That's not a temp...that's an address! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

Rene

13. DaveCowley

DaveCowley 1/2 ton status

Was in moab at the end of June as well as July 27-29 and we got up at 5:00am to run and by noon were off the trail and it was still hot as hell out there. I have a diesel radiator in my K5 with the small block and these were the only times it ever got above 195. My friend's 98 Grand Cherokee was up around 240 when he shut it off so be prepared for hot as hell and hopefully we'll see some cloud cover.

Dave Cowley
    88 Jimmy 1 ton locked on 36's

14. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Mine tends to run hot down here, not sure about there. I've also got a new (smaller) radiator but a much better shroud so, we'll see. I'll be bringing a poison sprayer with water to spray down the radiator on my rig if needed "just in case". I would hate to hold things up with over my heating. Probably be a good idea for everyone who has one to bring one. Even if you have no overheating problems, others will appreciate it and it might earn you a beer or two! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif