Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Moab trail advise

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BLZN4FN, Jan 17, 2007.

1. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

What trails have you done in Moab with your K5?

Reason I ask is I had a very bad experience a few year ago. My wife and I were on a trail run which was part of the EJS. One of my hubs did not lock in so all I had was 2 maybe 3 wheel drive and almost rolled my K5 on the start of Tip thru hell scared me so bad it has taken me 3 years to get the nerve to go back.

This time my father is going with me to EJS I'm looking for some good trail ideas. I'm going to do Golden spike.

Any ideas and input on the trail would help I need to get over this fear of moab trails before BB07

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Hell's Revenge and Fins and Things.

3. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

This may sound dumb but bare with me:

Is your fear based on dying? If so, you know the answers on how to deal with it ( better safety equipment, etc).

Is your fear based on wrecking your truck (sheetmetal, blown up engine, etc). If that's it, you know the answer to that one too. stay on easier trails.

The reason I ask these questions is because those are my own questions.

The fear of dying is always there but I have very much minimalized it with excellent safety equipment so little prob there.

My biggest fear is wrecking my truck visa-a-vis SHEET METAL GANG! A ding here and there is no biggie. It's there huge gashes in the sides of the rig that I can do without! So I stay on medium difficulty trails.

Like my man, Harry Callahan used to say, "Every man must know his limitation!"

4. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

hell revenge is pretty easy

5. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

I think we all have a fear of dying. I feel I can take that out. I have a safe roll cage with 5 point harness.

As for body damage I no longer have a good panel on the K5 them days are long gone.

I think what happend was the wife was with me and I scared her so bad she started to cry made me feel real bad. I think the rest of the week was just was not alot of fun for her so it made mild trails seem alot harder than they were

I guess I just need to suck it up and go back out there and try to have a great time. and over come my fear of Moab

6. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I've had my scares and have become timid of some obsticles. Mostly hill climbs were ya get a little crossed up. I always go back and hit that and conqure them right away though.

7. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

I totally see your point in regards to your lovely wife. You didn't mean to scare her but the end results are almost the same.
    I bet if you got out there with her safe at home, it'll be just like a walk in the park :D !

8. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Hey Bo,

I have done basically every Moab trail thats in the book in my K5.

You will be fine on Golden Spike. It is a long trail, assuming you are doing all three (Poison Spider, Golden Spike, and Gold Bar Rim). There are no places on the trail that are near big drops or particularly dangerous and your truck is more than equipped for this trail.

That being said, it isn't the easiest trail there is (more medium-difficult) and part of it is on a very high cliff. Again, the trail doesn't go near the cliff and there is no real danger of rolling off of it but that may be an issue for you and your wife. In fact, now that I think of it, the road into and out of these trails is pretty narrow and on the shelf of a cliff. If you go fairly slow and are careful it shouldn't be an issue but I am trying to give you all of the information I can.

Which trail did you have issues on? Cliffhanger? Moab Rim? Those are the two with the biggest pucker factor, AFAIK.

If you choose to run the spike trio, expect a VERY long day. I have run the trio in about half of a day but I have also run trails at EJS and I would expect it to take at least twice that long.

I have not decided if I am going to EJS yet but if I do I would be more than willing to run with you :thumb:

9. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Fins and things is a good trail with some kind of scary places. Its a really fun trail too. Mabey go on an easy trail for the first couple of days. Then ramp it up a bit and towards the end of the week do something harder. I know for a fact most any K5 with lockers can get through pretty much anything in Moab. I hope to go this year too. Lets hook up.

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I did Lower Helldorado which was short, and didn't feel inclined to join some of the others on Upper helldorado.

The following day I did the first half of Pritchett canyon...grenaded a driveshaft and turned around. I wouldn't recomend Pritchett until after you get more comfy in Moab again.

The last run i've done is Gold Bar Rim and I enjoyed it the most. The road up to it really isn't bad.

In your shoes I'd probably send Michael (jms) a pm. He has done most of Moab, is a lifetime sheetmetal gang member and would have some great suggestions for you.

Rene

11. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

haha, I don't have a lot to offer but what my grandfather told me once, and promptly demonstrated too! "If you get bucked off the horse, get up, punch it in the face as hard as you can, then get back on"

Fear is a good thing, keeps you alive, but letting it control you isn't a good thing either!

All coming from the guy who is scared to ask a girl out, so take it as you will :D

12. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

I have also run lower Helldorado but it is closed now :mad:

Pritchett is pretty tough and I wouldn't start there, though Bo's truck is capable of it.

13. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

If you're feeling skittish about the offcamber and/or feeling you might roll forever down a cliff, I'd stay away from Hells Revenge the first day. Maybe save it for the end if you're feeling like testing you nerve. It's not that difficult just unnerving. At least it was for me. From what I hear Moab Rim is the same way.

Fins 'n' Things is easy and doesn't have quite the drama Hells does. Might be a good test of the nerves.

Are you going with some of your local club? If so that'll help having people along that you know you can trust.

If it's any consolation, I like riding in the Puncher. I always feel it's solid as a friggin' tank.

I was very glad I'd redone my brakes before BB05, especially on Hells.

14. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

How about doing the first half of fins and things on your first day. Just a bunch of short steep climbs nothing more than 50 ft I would say. Also it hasn't been mentioned but Kane Creek is kind of fun. I don't know if they have done any trail repair since I have been there but the only hard part on that trail is fairly hard now. A little scary because you are right next to a canyon(just the one part) but the trail is easy enough for a blazer that it might help your confidence. Pretty much everything in Moab scares the crap out of me cause I am scared of heigths. I absolutely hate the second half of fins and things. Strangly enough one of my favorites is hells revenge

15. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Take the most vital piece of equipment ever: Your testicles.

16. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Hell's Revenge has some steep uphills & downhills that are not alot of fun if you don't like heights. I don't like height very much so I am not a huge fan of Hells Revenge but it is something I would do just wouldn't be thrilled about it. It is a very scenic trail that isn't very tough especially for a rig like yours.

Moab Rim is a cool trail except for the first 1/2 mile. You are looking over the edge of a 300+ foot dropoff down at the Colorado. Not hard but not height friendly. You are not in danger of going over the edge really but it is just one of those mental things about being near an edge.

Prichett is harder with more obsticles but doesn't have the heights problems like Hell's or Moab Rim. The only offcamber section that had some major pucker factor was paved over with dirt so it isn't an issue anymore.

Harley

17. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I just wish I could get there ... I've now had truck or health issues getting to TWO BlazerBashes and suspect I'm jinxed. :(

-- A

18. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Thanks all for the advise. I will make it out to moab for EJS and kick some rock ass:haha: I know its a mental thing VS a rig thing I know my rig is very stable and well built.

I will let you all know what trails I sign up for and you all can tell what they are like.