Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mobil 1 drip?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by roadnotca, Dec 22, 2006.

1. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Has anybody else experienced this? I've been using Mobil 1, and I have drips from the engine, trans, T-case and diffs. They're all basically new or resealed.
    Is it a case of Mobil 1 will get past any shaft seal?:confused:

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've heard this but find it hard to believe. I'm just about to put 0w40 Mobil 1 in my Dodge so I'll let you know if I spring a leak.
    They've been selling the stuff for years so I can't believe these old wives tales of it being 'too slipery' for some engines.

3. bdozeraz

bdozeraz 1/2 ton status

I have noticed more leakage from my vehicles using synthetic oil vs regular.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If there is any kind of slight leak point synthetics like Mobil 1 will find them where dyno oils may not or just not leak as fast. If the seals are good synthetics shouldn't leak either.

Harley

5. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

If you think about it, there hasn't been any major $ incentive to perform long term testing on seals designed ~50 years ago, exposed to synths. :doah:

6. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Guys..

synthetics made of PAO ( poly alpha - olefin ) basestocks ( which would include mobil one, some amsoil, and Royal Purple ) shrink and harden seals.

Here's what the lubrication experts have to say, not just me:

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/article_detail.asp?articleid=752

Weaknesses of the synthetic-based lubricants include: limited additive solubility, reversal of ester-based synthetic base oil to an acid, seal incompatibility with some seal materials, and a significantly higher cost per gallon compared to most mineral-based oils.

And this from an ester manufacturer ( hatco ):

http://www.hatcocorporation.com/pages/about_esters.html

esters are nearly always used in combination with PAOs in full synthetic motor oils in order to balance the effect on seals, solubilize additives, reduce volatility, and improve energy efficiency through higher lubricity.

As with any product, there are also drawbacks to esters. The most common concern when formulating with ester basestocks is compatibility with the elastomer materials used in the seals. All esters will tend to swell and soften most elastomer seals however, the degree to which they do so can be controlled through proper selection. When seal swell is desirable, such as in balancing the seal shrinkage and hardening characteristics of PAOs, more polar esters should be used such as those with lower molecular weight and/or higher number of ester linkages. When used as the exclusive basestock, the ester should be designed for compatibility with seals or the seals should be changed to those types which are more compatible with esters.

So, there you have it... it's the oil, attacking your seals. as you might guess, esters aren't cheap, and there's no law saying how much the oil maker has to put in there for you.

Also, additive solubility is important, because if you take off your oil pan, after using a PAO oil, that stuff you can scrape out of the pan at the bottom is the additive package that you thought was protecting your engine... combustion temps always win..

Now, if you want an oil that doesn't attack your seals, and maintains its additive package....click on the links below..

Tom

7. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Tom, you've finally convinced me. I gotta say, maybe Quantum Blue has the answer, and all the rest are being carried by their "big name". But Mobil1 did save my tranny. After a hard days trails on a NAPA car torque convertor, the TH350 couldn't figure between 2nd & 3rd. When I drained that Mobil1, it was "dark" ruby and it smelled burnt.
    Meanwhile, thanks for posting their addy once again.
    :xmas: