Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

mobile 1, vs amsoil, vs other kind vs napa

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BranndonC, Sep 22, 2004.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i planned on mobile 1 on my new 500 caddy motor, but i also remember reading from someone who works at napa about some napa brand that is awesome and way cheaper and there filters are also great
    about amsoil, it sounds good, but i cant just go pick it up like i can the others... any input, should i go mobile 1, or napa brand?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

There are stores here locally that carry Amsoil. Seek and ye shall find.

I use only Wix filters. Napa and Carquest both carry them, and the independant parts stores too.

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Wix makes the Napa filters, they are some of the best out there IMHO.

Valvaline make Napa oil, good stuff IMHO! I ran napa brand valv. in my 406SBC during break in, switched to mobile 1 syn., and now I switched back to the napa brand. That mobile 1 syn is really good oil if you can keep it in the pan, unfortunately my 406 uses a little oil and got tired of the $5 per quart.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Your brand new 406, "uses" oil?

5. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

even my brand new 496 uses oil lol, well leaks is a better word...

6. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Uh-oh. Your truck doesn't meet up to Tim's standards.....

The horror!! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

7. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]haha yeah really. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

8. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Your brand new 406, "uses" oil?

[/ QUOTE ] Don't worry about it.... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

9. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    even my brand new 496 uses oil lol, well leaks is a better word...

[/ QUOTE ]
    K20, I went with a Fel pro gasket kit and I'm not real impressed with it. My fuel pump to block gasket leaks some oil and the pan is getting a little "wet" in a spot or 2. I have heard some bad things about FelPro lately. I wish I would have went with a Victor Reinz gasket set but too late now. I don't think I am burning any oil, maybe a little but it never smokes one bit, besides a little bit of black for a second at WOT. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Oriley's brand oil is Vavoline. I'm not sure who Napa uses. I usely run Vavoline or Havoline.

11. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i will never use another set of victors again EVER. put them on my motor, it leaks 1 quart every 1000 miles. its leaking out of the oilpan, valve covers, timing over, intake, everywhere.

now my friends motor that i built, doens't leak a drop, i used felpros on his. somethings /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

im very tempted to pull my motor and put felpros in it.

12. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

ok, napa brand it is then, now... what weight. its a completely rebuilt motor, so i dont know what weight to start on and when to switch if i do at all?

13. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    ok, napa brand it is then, now... what weight. its a completely rebuilt motor, so i dont know what weight to start on and when to switch if i do at all?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Almost everyone has a different opinion on what to run but if it was me I would start off with a 10/40. I prefer thick oils and I run 20/50 in my motor. It gets really hot around here and not very cold so I figure the extra thickness can't hurt not mention it's harder to burn off and IIRC most racing teams run heavier oils( I may be wrong on that).

After about 10K miles I would switch over to 20/50 from 10/40.

14. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

come to think of it i have fel-pro gaskets on mine......and mine does the little black puff at WOT too lol.

O yeh just so this isnt completely OT i use mobil 1 10w-30

15. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

well if you do like I did....

for a while I had to hange motors before I ever needed a oil change /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

this last motor has lasted a while though...then again it isn't in a truck right now /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

mobil one sinthetic for me /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

16. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Well Amsoil is good. They put alot of money into research and dont advertise as much as others do since they put most of their $ into the product and research. Hence more $... In order to get their product you have to go through an Amsoil delaer which is usually an average Joe with a small store. Or you can become a dealer or "preferred buyer" of your own. Preferred buyer get the product at delaer prices, but aren't a reseller. But you pay a yearly fee to be a preferred buyer. I was one for a while... You can order as much as you like, but you're just not supposed to resell it.

17. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

yeah Napa is Valvoline oil, the addresses on the backs are the same. As far as filters, hell I dont know, I run Fram and everyone hates them, dad runs only AC delco's and everyone hates them, to me they are all made my mallories (my unlce works at the local plant), they make the CATERPILLAR filters right next to the others brands... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, lets all spend 4 grand on a motor that burns oil.

Hell if you wanted a motor that burns oil I've got two of them sitting in my yard and one under the hood of my POS tow rig.

Just blow it off, instead of admitting that something is wrong. I love it. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Almost everyone has a different opinion on what to run but if it was me I would start off with a 10/40. I prefer thick oils and I run 20/50 in my motor. It gets really hot around here and not very cold so I figure the extra thickness can't hurt not mention it's harder to burn off and IIRC most racing teams run heavier oils( I may be wrong on that).

After about 10K miles I would switch over to 20/50 from 10/40.

[/ QUOTE ]

The majority of wear occurs at startup.

You're doing absolutely nothing good by running the heavy oil except working your oil pump extra hard, costing you more fuel mileage, and wearing the parts faster every time you start the engine.

I don't know about your engine but mine has 50 PSI of oil pressure at hot idle with 5W-30. I can't imagine why you'd need anything heavier than that unless your bearing were worn and your oil clearances made it necessary to have oil that heavy.

20. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I imagine you're reffering to stock and DD trucks, but thicker oil offers better protection is higher rpm engines where more heat is generated.