Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

mobile home axles... how many lugs?

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by four_by_ken, Aug 11, 2004.

1. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I cant remember how many lugs they usually have. Just wondering if I can reuse my old wheels with the new axles...

Thanks
    Ken H.

2. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

5 lugs, but they are a clamp type wheel instead of a stud and nut locking system, I hope I made sense. Either way mine are 5 lugs

3. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

You wont be able to bolt a normal rim to a mobile home axle with out an adapter. They use a "Budd" style rim that has no center hub on the rim.

4. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

Ken,

A plus about not using the mobile home axles is getting away from the 14.5" wheels. Go with radials as well, if possible. The boat I just picked up has radials, nice!

5. odee1

odee1 Registered Member

does any know of an adapter hub or any hub that will work with the mobile home axles that you can use a regular rim with.

6. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

You'd have to measure the bearing diameter on the spindles. Then cross over to regular hubs and see what fits. Torch off the mobil home brakes and install properly matched backing plates for said hub/drum assemblys.

7. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Better yet sell the mobile home axles for scrap, that's all they're good for. Believe me, I know. My flatbed has these axles on it (30 year old race car hauler) and I have looked at every option to make it servicable. Its just not economically of time-wise feasable. I've decided I'm going to stretch the frame on my trailer 6' and buy two new complete (huh to hub) 7000 pound (both with brakes) axles for $600. The axles, plus tires, plus a little Warn works winch and some other little stuff would run me about $1000 total. I figure, for a 21', tandem 7000# axle (brakes on both axles), tilting deck bumper pull trailer with a toolbox for accesories and a little winch, it'd run me about $2000- $2500 new, and fixing up my old one will run me, like I said before, about $1000 and a little sweat and time. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. four_by_ken

[ QUOTE ]
    I've decided I'm going to stretch the frame on my trailer 6' and buy two new complete (huh to hub) 7000 pound (both with brakes) axles for $600.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where are you getting 2 7k axles for $600? Cant be new?

9. four_by_ken

I really just wanted to know the bolt pattern because I was going to look at a used set of axles after work, and I couldnt rememver what the bolt pattern was. And the guy didnt know what kind of axles they were.

[ QUOTE ]
    Ken,

A plus about not using the mobile home axles is getting away from the 14.5" wheels. Go with radials as well, if possible. The boat I just picked up has radials, nice!

[/ QUOTE ]

10. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Local trailer place named "Husky Trailers and parts"

11. four_by_ken

Well, the trailer I was going to put the axles under, I sold for $800. The price I paid for it.

And I found a gooseneck with more than 7k axles under it that a farmer home built for $1000. I say more than 7k because they came off a dump trailer. And just by looking at them, they are more then 7k. I would guess 10 or 12k each. Needs brakes redone though. No big deal. Much better trailer than the other. 16ft.. with a 4ft dovetail. Nice and short compared to most of the goosenecks I have seen. Perfect for a Blazer and manovering into campgrounds. Just need to get the gooseneck hitch put on the truck.
    I am a happy fella... more than happy.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

Do people really use "mobile home" axles to build trailers with??? That is illegal as h, here in Iowa.......

13. four_by_ken

A lot of people use them.

14. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Do people really use "mobile home" axles to build trailers with??? That is illegal as h, here in Iowa.......

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a trailer with mobile home axles, it really sucked. Illegal? No worse than the fact that it didn't have a title, registration, safety chains, fenders or mudflaps,... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif