Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

mod ?,--extra capacity oil pan & high volume pump

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big d, Nov 2, 2002.

1. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

is it worth it for a daily driver ? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif i know summit has them fairly inexpensively, and that the fact extra oil = better cooling (like same for tranny pan). just want some input from ck5 brothers. thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

Thats not a bad way of doing it, The extra capacity will help keep the oil cooler some what but a eng. oil cooler would be better. I run both on the tranny and just the OEM cooler on the eng. But I run duel oil filters that adds up to about 2qt extra.

Eric

3. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Just remember that if you have a hi flow pump without a bigger cooler you can actually make a hi heat problem. Reason being you out flow your heat transfer device, in other words: your oil goes thru the cooler with out enough time to cool completely. Samething happens when folks go to hi-flow water pump without getting bigger radiator. Just a thought hope it helps you.

4. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

dude, you have the exact same setup i do ! dual oil filter and the works. i only got a 305, but i want to keep her as healthy as possible. maybe ill get a hi flow water pump in the future to, dont know. thanks for the info. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

thanks for the info. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

i run a extra capicity pan with a high vol. pump. I like the fact that the pan is baffled and the extra cap. is good IMO as well. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I say go for it...Oil is what cools the bearing surfaces in the engine and the more cool oil you can get there, the better...I am going to be using a melling HV oil pump and an 8-quart oil pan (if it will fit) along with a Perma-Cool headered oil cooler in the BBC I am building to swap into my K5...

Oh, always remember to swap out the stock oil pump shaft for a beefier on with a pinned-steel collar when using a HV oil pump...the HV requires a bit more force to pump than a stocker...

Chris

8. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

many,many thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

Yeah, and be sure to get high volume valve covers to hold all the extra oil pumping to the top end.

10. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

You DO NOT need a high volume oil pump! It will rob HP and heat up the oil. The stock oil pumps pump way more then the motor can ever use! All the excess ends up going out the pressure relief valve and right back into the pan! If you plan on spinning high rpm a high pressure pump (or even just the spring in a stock pump) will do all you need. The rule of thumb for a SBC is 10psi per 1000rpm (i.e. 60psi oil press. at 6000rpm).

A new pan with some baffles in it is always a good idea if you use your truck for things the designers did not intend.