Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

mod recomendations

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by new2k5, Jan 8, 2003.

1. new2k5

new2k5 1/2 ton status

i am sure some of you care sick of seeing me post all kinds of questions but oh well i am tryin to learn all i can. any way. i finally found a good set of axels d60 ff14 456 detroit rear. now i need to figure out what lift and tire size i should get, and what other things other than just the lift i need to complete the transformation. do i need to do a cross over steering set up? what exactly does it do? i woul;d like to go big tire little lift if possible. i dont mind trimmin the fenders but dont want to hack the snot out em. what i am leanin towards is a 4" bds lift with 37 12.5 17 ssr's on 17x9 MT classic II's. are 456's low enough for these tires? will i still be able to flex with this combo? and any other tips or peices you think i should get while doin this /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

It sounds real good to me. the 60 in the front will give you another inch so about 5" with the 37's and some fender cutting should do it. The crossover is a good idea but you dont have to do it. I ran for years and didnt miss it untill I went to Moab and couldnt turn when flexed.

3. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    Those tires/rims combo are gonna cost you some bucks.You can buy 15" wheels with 2.75" back spacing and do a little grinding and go with an 15" tire.Of course if you really want the alloy rims then either 16/17" rims are the way to go.Good score on your diffs!!!

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    i am sure some of you care sick of seeing me post all kinds of questions

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't ever hesitate to ask about the things you don't know...that's what this site is all about. Do use the search feature first if possible though. There are some very frequent questions that come up and the answers are usually not that hard to find/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Your plans sound good to me, what is the type of wheeling/usage you intend on though? There are slick set-ups that differ slightly between rocks, mud, mixed trail, and mall posing. We might be better able to help if we know what type of wheeling you're into.

Rene

5. new2k5

new2k5 1/2 ton status

i can use 15" wheels? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifwhat exactly do i have to grind? the only reason i was gonna go with 17" wheels was their not much more than 16" but if i could use 15 wheels that would really save me some money wich means other cool stuff i can do /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

a d60 will give me an extra inch? should get a block for the rear to even things out?

although i really dont get to go wheelin as much as i used too in the prefiance days when i do go, i like rocks usually class 4 to low 5 but if i'm gonna have some hefty axels i may even go harder. (i used to wheel jeeps with d35c rear) /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif it will mainly be for daily driving huntin campin and forest trails but 1 sunday a month ROCK STOMPER /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. new2k5

new2k5 1/2 ton status

bump

7. new2k5

new2k5 1/2 ton status

with 2.75" back spaceing will a 12.5" wide tire still fit inside the fender? pa cops are really strict on tires out past the fender. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

How about a BDS 6" all spring suspension lift, and 40" or 42" tires. You'll still need to trim the fenders, and probley need lower gears. Might want to think about getting a doubler.

9. new2k5

new2k5 1/2 ton status

40" TIRES /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif thats way too big. PA has a bumper height law of 28" front and 30 rear for blazers trucks can get away with more. plus i think any tire over 38" is just excess and makes it look like your compensateing for something. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif would i be able to clear 37's with a 6" lift and not trim my fenders?

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

With 37's I think you'd still have to do alittle trimming. Now as for the bumper law, couldn't you do some custom bumpers with some bar that hangs low enough to make leagle ??? My thinking is a skid plates front and rear. Wouldn't that make everything all good for the bumper laws ???

11. new2k5

new2k5 1/2 ton status

nope it has to be a frame mounted bumper no bumper extensions allowed. ive seen guys try to turn those tube bumeprs with the hoop upside down, but it still wont pass PA laws bite. granted my mech. would probably bend the law for me. but i still have to think about my fat dog that can barely jump up into it now /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif