Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Model 205 lubricant specs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by camiswelding, Sep 9, 2003.

1. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

My books list ATF dexron 2 for 80-89 model 205 transfer cases.. but the earlier ones took 80/90w... does anyone know why this change and is there any advantage to the gear oil instead... they didnt change to some type of needle bearing in the later models that needs lighter lubricant ..did they?
    thanks
    cam
    (now the owner of a k3500 3 + 3 crew cab with 39k original miles.. add that one to the fleet!!! /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif)

2. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

sounds like a nice ride
    but i think ya miss read or they misprinted the spec i am sure it takes good ole gear oil call the dealer 2 dbl check tough
    R

3. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

No internal differences I'm aware of. I think they changed it for economy's sake - thinner oil has less drag or something. I took ATF out of my '91 crewcab's 205 and filled it up with gear oil. Quieter and shifts nicer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

Gotta love a 6-pack truck.
    Anyway, I dont know if its a misprint or what, but with a gear driven transfer case, it is much better to use gear oil. Chain driven TC's use lighter weight oil so it will soak into the chain. You dont have to worry about that, you just want something that wont get thin when hot to protect those gears.

5. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

U2Low is on the money here. I went threw this over a year ago, when I had troops pulling a service on a M1031 CUCV. They were changing the transfer fluid because of water contamination, I interviened with "hey don't put ATF in a 205 case only the 208 takes ATF!" The senior mech hands me the lube order which states ATF /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

WTF? this can't be right, I've had trucks with 205s before I KNOW they had gear oil in them. Well thanks the the CK5 crew: New Process switched to ATF for mileage purposes in the early eighties. And AFAIK (or anyone else) they didn't change thing internally. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Yep they went to ATF, had me all goofed up the first time I drained one and atf came out.
    They definately shift better when they are filled with 90 wt.
    [ QUOTE ]
    Chain driven TC's use lighter weight oil so it will soak into the chain. You dont have to worry about that, you just want something that wont get thin when hot to protect those gears.

[/ QUOTE ]
    What kind of steel are they using that soaks up oil ?
    I was of the understanding that they used lighter lube in the chain drives because the pumps would not move the thicker lube and the case would fry bearings.

7. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

So, about a 241 case - which calls for ATF when you run 30w in a 203....Kind of the same thing???? ATF just doesn't seem right....Any thoughts??????

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Take a look at the gears in a 208, 231 or 241. They're planetary gears, just like in an auto tranny. ATF works just fine in 'em. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif I've got a 231 with 144K miles on it and a 241 with 159K miles on it. Never had a problem with either one. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

I didnt mean the metal soaks up the fluid, I meant the oil will getinside the roolers and sliders of the chain better with lighter weight oil.

10. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I've seen a bearing life/load chart and after than I wouldn't run ATF in anything like a 205. They spec different oils for good reason usually (pumping) but in this case it seems to be pure economy. The best thing to put in there is 80-90, unless you have some real special circumstances like extreme cold weather.
    For those of us with auto's, it's nice to know that ATF will work since sometimes the tranny oil gets through the seals but it's not ideal.