Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

model 80 filter problem

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 84CUCV, Sep 13, 2003.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

My budy just got his first chevy. He checked the whole truck out before he started it. It ran like crap. Someone told him the filer leaks. He took the whole thing apart. He broke what I think is the heater trying to get it out and he pryed out the other round thing with a nail.( what does that do anyway)I think ll need new parts for it. The parts are not made anymore. So what the heck should he do? As for as the thing on the bottom with the two screws he shound just block that off right? Can't think of what it is called. Thanks mike /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Didn't you have the same problem a couple months back? I think the easiest thing to do would be to replace the filter and housing.

3. 84CUCV

Chevy makes them? I had something close to it. one more thing. Do the diesels really need a fuel heater? I think mine is shot. As for as the switch I blocked it off. Thanks again Tybee

4. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

If my filter housing was shot i would repalce it with a racor spin on type filter with a heater; Better filtering and more reliable than the stock unit. I would say it depends where you live and how often you travel to cold climates on wether you need a heated filter.

5. 84CUCV

I am trying to keep it a stock M1009. any other thoughts? mike