Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Modification Philosophy

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by homemadesin, Sep 11, 2002.

1. homemadesin

homemadesin 1/2 ton status

I have a 72 Blazer that is closer to stock than not. The dash is all original but has one hole used to hold a clock (damnit), the drivers side rear qtr panel has a whip antenna mount (damnit again) and both rear qtr panels have 2 each hooks. The engine is a replacement Goodwrench 350w/quadrajet. Oh yeah, the tank is a fab'd 38 gallon.

Everything else is as original. My question is what should I stay away from (modifications-wise)? I was leaning towards dropping a DIN style car stereo in the dash (since it already had a hole in it) until seeing posts of people regretting not having the stock look. I wouldn't mind rhino-lining the tub but that seems too permanent.

Bottom line: do the modifications currently on the truck warrant keeping it stock-like or what the hell - hop it up? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Well what do you want to do with your K5?
    Are you into off-roading or cruzin lookin preety?
    Wheelin is way more fun than just cruzin on pavement.
    AND if you say both then what kind of wheelin?
    If you wana do balck diamond type trails then forget the sheet metal and go for function!
    Good luck

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Troy,

There is very little that you could do to your truck that could not be UN-DONE later on....if someone really wanted to.

When it comes to building collectable cars for example, you can paint an old Corvette in a non-correct color if you want, but expect to deduct the cost of a paintjob from it's selling price. A 100-point restoration of a vehicle will have a particular value (let's say it's $30,000). Anything that must be "un-done" or "re-done" to make it correct must be deducted from that dollar amount....so let's say in this case you would need to spend $5000 for a complete disassembly and repaint of the car to it's "original" color. The car can now only be sold for $25,000.

From the perspective of a K5 (even a 1st Gen!) we are not talking about "collectible" vehicles here. If there are things you want to do to personalize your truck, you should do them. It IS your truck after all....if you want to cut the dash to install a DIN radio, maybe just save the original metal so that if you change your mind later, you can have it "grafted" back in.

The main thing is to enjoy your K5....don't get so caught up in the "originality" aspect of it, that you are afraid to drive and enjoy it. The reality is that no matter WHAT you do to preserve your K5, it will probably NEVER sell for more than around $10K - 15K anyway. There just isn't enough demand to drive the prices higher.

Cars & Trucks in general are LOUSY investments for $$$....they are investments in pleasure and enjoyment.

4. homemadesin

It was professionally restored about 8 years ago, so that is what keeps me from really changing it too much.

As far as what I intend to do with the vehicle, I want to go wheelin, of course. Hey, this thing is the original baby sh!t yellow, so I ain't about looking pretty. (ugly as home-made sin ...hence the name). I have no intentions of rock-crawling or severe hardcore stuff. My '93 Jeep with 2.5L was sufficient to hit the trails in the CO mountains.

A complete new dual exhaust in going in tomorrow and the mountains are calling....

5. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

like greg said.its your truck now andyou should enjoy it.also try and get some pics up so we can see its restored look and eval what it looks like.i love to see any 1st gens cause there are only so many out there.who knows how many have already been crushed at the junkyard.the yard i used to go to just got out of the junk buisiness and crushed about 10 67 to 72 pickups.thatsa where i wqas getting all my parts.now noone has any cause they all crushed anything before 80 out here in PA

6. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

Cut the dash if you want, lift the truck, change the axels, it is your truck. I, personally, would refrain from doing too much serious body trimming if it is a rust free tub since could probably sell the rust free tub and buy 3 tubs worthy of serious trimming. My truck is no were near stock; the engine, tranny, t-case and front axel are all out of later model trucks. The seats are from an unknow origin and my dash is hacked for a stereo. If you don't want to cut your dash, I would suggest buying a "Radio Delete" plate to out over the radio hole and then put a stereo in a Tuffy console (that's my plan).

I think as long as you take your time and do a nice job, you can't go wrong! After all, it is still a first gen Blazer!

7. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

I plan to trade my fairly clean and strait first gen short bed for one thats cruched already.. just so I can cut on it without feelin bad /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

I think its going to boil down to what you really want to do with that truck..

8. homemadesin

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH! The stock and original AM radio is starting its "hollywood death scene". It looks good, but I think it has played its last squelch tune....

I will probably go the Tuffy route also. The dash just looks too clean to hack. But you have to admit, the square inset where the radio sits looks like it was made for the DIN style heads.....

I have pics and will put them up this weekend if not tomorrow.

9. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

IF you decide to "ditch" the AM radio, I'd be happy to buy it from you....even if it's dead.

I'd love to have an original AM radio in my dash.....even though I will FIRST have to weld in the original 2-post hole sheetmetal that was removed! /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

To each his own.... /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

10. homemadesin

Could you cut this dash?????

Here it is. It is mostly stock, with the small exceptions of the mounted digital clock (lower left near radio) and mini-tune tach in stock location (wrong tach, right location). Could you cut it for a DIN radio? Dash Photo

11. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Re: Could you cut this dash?????

No, Personally I wouldn't, I would leave the AM radio there and unhook it and put a tuffy console in with a radio in there, just my two cents.