Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

modified cross member, when and why?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by four_by_ken, Apr 26, 2002.

1. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

(cross over)
    When is the modified cross member needed? I know some guys have it, some dont. What are the issues that cause this interfearance? I would rather not use a bent draglink, but I dont want to mess with the cross member either.

Ken H?

2. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

It's one or the other. Either you bend the draglink or you change the crossmember, just the nature of the beast. I made one from 2x2 tube steel that has work well for me.

3. AZK5

AZK5 1/2 ton status

I don't have either. I have about a 4" lift and a dropped pitman arm and I have a straight draglink that is about 4 degrees from parallel to the ground. I'm running a front Dana 60 which is taller at the knuckle then a 44. I had to cut about 1" off the lip of the factory crossmember to clear the draglink when the passenger side is under compression.

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I built a nice strong cross member out of 2x2x.250 so I could run a straight drag link.