Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

modified heater controls?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by coincidentally, Dec 9, 2002.

1. coincidentally

coincidentally Registered Member

I am in the process of putting the finishing touches on the rewiring job I did on my blazer. Right now the heater isn't hooked up to that "climate control center" that came with the truck. I figured since I dont have A/C anymore that section could be used for something more useful.

I need to figure out a way to turn the heater on/off, and hook a dial or a multi-position switch up to control the fan speed. Any ideas?

If I cant come up with something, i was thinking of getting rid of the stock heater setup and replacing it with one of those ones JC whitney sell. Are those any good? anyone ever see what the controls look like on those?

2. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

The factory fan speed is controlled by moving the power through two different coils (located inside the vents). Each coil adds some resistance to the electrical line to devrease the fans speed.

Hence, the factory fan switch is a "simple" four position switch (off, low, med, hi).

I am not sure why you want a rotary switch. Are you missing the factory one?

I am not sure if your aware but the AC fan and the heater fan are the same.

Good luck.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Probably the *easiest* thing to do is to go with a non AC setup, and replace all the ducting and heater boxes with the appropriate donor parts. You'll have to make a plate for the firewall to seal the extra large AC opening, but thats not too difficult.

Of course you could go custom, or aftermarket, but I've yet to be impressed by how well an aftermarket piece (short of engine components and related) fits.

4. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

my fan dont turn off...

It's either low, med, or kinda high....

wtf?

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Well, earlier fans were set up for that "flow through ventilation" system or whatever. They never turn off fully, even with the engine off/key on, the fan still turns at a slow speed.

My HD heating setup (later one, has the plastic vent/heater controls) shuts the fan off completely, though I'm not sure if the "standard" non-AC setups in later years shut off completely.

What does the heater head on your truck read? low, med, hi? Mine actually has "off" written on the bezel as the lowest setting on the switch, I think AC trucks were the same, with an additional "off" on the slider for the vents or temp control.

6. coincidentally

coincidentally Registered Member

I am not particularly set on a rotary switch, but I just thought that whole stereo sized climate control panel was a waste of space. I am on the tail end of rewiring the truck, but earlier on I ripped out that panel and replaced it with a painless wiring (http://painlesswiring.com) switch panel to start the truck/control the lights and stuff. The A/C was removed before I got the truck, and I dont care much for all the directional ventilation controls either. Ideally, I would like to be able to basically lock the vents in "defrost" mode, so my windows wont fog up, and just have a 4 position switch or something like that so I can control fan speed. I don't really even care that the A/C box is still there because there is more than enough room in that engine bay for it to sit there doing nothing /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I am hoping I can get a wiring diagram from the dealer for that fan motor (which from the looks of it, I can see the back of from the passenger side of the engine bay. I also have to check my chilton's/haynes manual when I get home from work, maybe they will prove useful for once, but in any event, assuming I can find a wiring diagram, I am hoping I can run a couple wires to that fan motor, and have a little switch/knob mounted on the dash somewhere, as opposed to that huge climate control thing that barely even functioned

7. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I am pretty sure the fan itself is a simple power and ground.

Didn't the Painless wiring come with a diagram?

I know the Haynes has the wiring diagram, but my eyes have a hard time following a bunch of parralell lines.

8. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

The fan switch is not a big deal...you can take it off of the "big" panel and mount it where ya want it. It's thecontrols for the cable and/or vacuum operated doors that divert the air to defrost, vents or floor that need all the space. I can scan a schematic of the heater circuit if ya need one. PM me or email.