Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Modifing friends' '89 Sub. 383?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ntaj*ep, Nov 12, 2002.

1. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Modifing friends\' \'89 Sub. 383?

OK, the truck has a TBI? If I'm not mistaken, and a 700r4. Hope I'm right so far. He wants me to put in a 383cid. What will the computer let me get away with. Can I do away with the computer entirely, or will the trans. need it? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    The most I've done to a Domestic is put camshafts in, and cylinder heads, Performance wise. So I don't even know if we will be able to keep the TBI, which I would like to do if possible. So let me have it, no opinions please only fact. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Re: Modifing friends\' \'89 Sub. 383?

A Guy at work did this and it works well with the tbi. It did take a custom chip to get it to run right though.

3. GMslave

GMslave 1/2 ton status

You'll prolly need to get some higher flow injectors too.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Contact the folks at www.turbocity.com . They should be able to help you with the computer side of the equation. A healthy 383 will need considerably more fuel than the stock TBI and chip deliver. Other than that, it's a bolt in swap. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Cool! I figured I would need bigger injectors. But modifing the compter I wasn't sure of. Right on Thanks!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Anyother ideas are welcome!

6. ratlover

ratlover 1/2 ton status

And the fact he should probably take into account that he will need to buy a new transmission/have it rebuilt. 700's are known for eating themselfs especially in OD. Heck I killed OD with a 305 turning 32's /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I have a feeling that his trany wont be a happy camper behind a stroker

Is he planning on yanking his block and using that to build or building a motor and swaping her in? There are some gatchas either way but still easily doable

7. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

The tranny should hold up as long as he doesn't get on it too much, the 700s after 87 were fairly decent. He better plan on replacing it sooner or later, though.

8. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I put a 350TBI stock system on a SB 400Ci stock reman engine. It runs perfectly with no problems - much more drivability than the carb. I have done extensive research on the TBI systems and run two of them on my trucks and getting ready to install a third system on a built 396.

I think whether or not new injectors and a chip reprogram are needed depends entirely on the engines performance mods. If he put in a big cam and highers compression pistons then probably. BUT if all it is, is a 350 bored .30 over with a 400 crank - the stock TBI has enough tolerance to compensate for the larger displacement up to about 50 ci.

My advice is to put it in and drive it with the stock TBI system before changing the injectors or program, if its not a really built engine

9. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Regarding the trany - in 89 all the computer does TO the trany is tell it to lock up or not. But the computer does need the input from the VSS for certain programs. SO you don't need to retain the computer for the trany until you get into the 4L60Es. Even then - there are ways to control the 4L60E and the 4L80E without the STOCK computer.

10. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I am running a 383 with Vortec heads and Edlebrock MPFI in my '90 Jimmy. If you use the TBI it will require new injectors, new fuel pump, and a custom chip. Depending upon how built the engine is, you may need a TBI off a 454. As for the 700R4 all I can say is, so far, so good. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I would agree w/azblazor about putting the engine in and running it with the stock computer & injectors. Mine ran with the stock computer and new fuel pump, but is was running pretty lean.

11. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I have a 383 with a TBI.

The real issue will depend on how much flow and how much RPMS you will want to turn. Also, which TBI are you running?

There is the MAF and a MAP version...

I have the MAP version and it is good up to 240 degrees duration and no more than .440 lift. The MAF version is quite a bit more expensive system, but it can be tuned to supply a bigger cam.

If you go over 5K rpm with a cam close to the above limits, you will need bigger injectors. Not so sure about the pump though.

As stated above, if you run a mild cam (RV cam) the stock chip and FI should work OK.

diy-efi.org

Good luck.

12. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I kinda figured the cam would be the issue as far as the computer was concerned. I was thinking of using the new 385cid, GM long block. I as well would like to get the trans. "built" at the same time, but thats ultimatly up to him. Thanks again for everything. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

13. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

OOOOOOOOO, I didn't even think to ask him weather its a MAP or MAF. I didn't even relize they used MAF systems in '89. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I'll have to check. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif