Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Modifying a 350

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Joey B, Mar 29, 2003.

1. Joey B

Joey B Registered Member

My '83 Jimmy has a replacement 350 GM crate motor. Theres nothing wrong with the motor....about 152lb's compression in every cylinder, but it has no power. My brother-in-law, a very talented mechanic, told me to replace the carb and intake with Edlebrock Performers, add hedders and dual exhaust and that would take care of everything.

The stock exhaust manifolds are cracked and are leaking. I had the catalytic converter tested and was told the cat, muffler and tail pipe are "bad". I guess the rusted holes were a clue.

I wanted to put in a cam also. My b-in-law told me the compression ratio of my motor is way too low to handle a cam because I have some kind of spoon top pistons. He said that if I put in a cam and try to run the A/C at idle the motor will choke and die. Is this true? Or do I pay too much attention to what this guy says? To cam or not to cam?

Thanks,
    Joey

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'd say put a cam in it !!!!! Go for this one . I can't see how this one could couse a problem like your brother-in-law decribed. It's not like it's a big lopey cam like in a hot rod. Sounds to me like he thinks you'll be asking him to do the work, and he doesn't want to do it. I'd also go with one of these and instead of the Edelbrock intake, I'd personally use a Wieand Stealth and stick with the Q-jet carb. I think the Doug Thorley TRI-Y headers are the best avalible for a 4 wheel drive truck. If you have state inspections to worrie about, you might want to use a 3" single exhaust system. If no inspections, go for a 2.25 or 2.50 dual exhaust system and loose the cat. Muffler(s) is up to what kind of sould you like. I personnally like my truck loud, so I'll be running the Flowmaster 40 series mufflers. I'd say you biggest power loss is coming from the cracked exhaust manifolds, and worn out exhaust system. So I'd do a complete exhaust system first.

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well i can say this..my truck has a rebiult 350..(the truck origionly had a 305) and i dunno much about the engine....i bought the truck with the 350 in it..and all i know about it is it has a holley carb..and after market open element air cleaner..and headers with dual exhaust...no cats..and this truck is not slow!!..i used to drive my dads 79 around a lot and that has a stock crate 350 as well...with no mods..but for a dual exhuast with the stock manidolds..and i dont think its got as much gettup as my truck!! i find my self way over the speed limit a lot..and with that over drive it really flys down the road!! of course..it all has to do with your tire and gear sizes to a little..mine only has 3.08's and 31's /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

4. Joey B

Joey B Registered Member

I'm looking at two. The 1st one you picked.

Crane

What's the difference?

Joey

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Ever sence Crane refuced to pay for the damange one of thier cams coused, I won't use them. One of my friends built a 327 for his Nova. He used the 300 HP cam from Crane. One of the lobes was off by so meny degrees. Anyways, it coused a piston and a valve to meet. Crane admitted they screwed up, and was willing to replace the cam, but they wouldn't pay for the parts to fix the rest of the engine. So I am no fan of Crane ever sence then.

6. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status