Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Modifying a trailer

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by Thumper, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

I located an old horse trailer sitting behind a neighbors farm where we are buying a house. Its fairly large, probably held 4-6 horses, gooseneck, tandem axles. The enclosed upper part is probably pretty rough, and the axles brakes are probably seized, but I was wondering what the possibility is of cutting the top off, replacing or fixing the axles, and using it as a car hauler for the k5? I imagine even if it was a 4 horse unit, that would be 5000 lbs worth of weight, so the axles and frame should be ok to carry the truck. The way its sitting there, I could probably get it real cheap. Any inputs?
    Mike

2. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

I am far from a trailer engineering expert so don't assume what I am saying is the law...

I think that on livestock trailer that the walls and roof also provide structual support to the trailer, if you remove them it would probably fold the floor the first time you drove on it. The gooseneck flatbed trailers have either c-channel or i-beam lengthwise from front to rear under the floor for support whereas the livestock trailer has only a thin floor.

Just my opinion...

3. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Well, this is a gooseneck horse trailer. I wouldnt think that a sheet metal enclosure would be one of the main support parts of a gooseneck 4 horse trailer. But thanks for the input, when I take a look at it, I will check out the main support frame.
    Mike

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

He is right, the roof and walls are part of the structural support on a g/n horse trailer. Even on Semi trailers they are designed that way (comparing the flatbeds to enclosed vans). You could use the axles and g/n hitch to build a new trailer with but I think modifying the existing trailer will cost more than it is worth compared to buying or building one from scratch.