Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Modifying hood springs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rampage, Aug 16, 2001.

1. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Just wondering if anyone has replaced their hood springs with those gas filled tubes (don't know the correct terminology but looks like a mini shock absorber that you see on all the newer SUV hatchbacks). If you have done this do you know the correct one to buy and how hard is it to fab something up to mount it? Just a thought I've been tossing around for a while.

2. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a kool idea. I never thot of it before, but I have a few laying around for a hood from a GM car maybe Ill look into it.

The only prob I can see from just thinking about it is those things puke out pretty kwik. But for a 'Glass hood maybe....

But on that note my buddy heated the big coil spring on his truck when he installed a 'Glass hood, to relax the tension on them.

I get all the excercise I need pushing my luck![​IMG]

3. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

the cylinder would be fine, but what will the hood actually hinge on????
    your stock spring has the hinge combined i think

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's

4. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Ya, I have done that. It was kind of a booboo that made me do it. I installed my snorkel and cut the hole in the quarterpanel, rigged all the piping for the snorkel, then tried to close the hood. OOPS! I had to remove the springs, left the stock hinges there, and installed the lift shocks. All I did, was measure the length I wanted and bought some the proper length. The store has a whole row of them hanging there, you just pick the length you want. They support the steel hood just fine, and its really sweet to pop the hood and let it go and it slowly rises up to place. The only drawback is that it doesnt raise as far as stock, but Im not sure if its because I used too short lifts or just the nature of the job.
    I dont have any pics of them, but I can snap some and get them up online next week if you like. I really like them, and they are pretty cool.

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Aint Skeered!! </font color=red>

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Sweet! thats a great idea, my springs are sprung and there's a ton of those things at the junk yard ( and I use the word junk very loosely), thumper can't wait to see those pics bro thanks guy's

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

6. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Go Thumper! YES I do want pics, details, problems and lots of them. I knew I couldn't have been the first to think of this, I never have an original idea. *L*

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by rampage on 08/17/01 02:24 AM.</FONT></P>

7. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Excellent idea!! [​IMG] but DAMN!!!![​IMG]. Now that's something else to buy &amp; modify during the rebuild. Bet it's nice though to be able to let the hood just rise up on it's own!![​IMG][​IMG]

Brian
    89KBlazer

Build it Right or Don't build it at all!!

8. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Wouldn't this also cure the sprung hoods that some of you have (where the back of the hood pops up) or does that happen for another reason?

9. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Thumper, do you still have the pics of your lift shocks? And now that you've had them for a while, what's the long term report on them, any problems? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif