Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

modifying my muffler

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by muddysub, Oct 19, 2002.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

well as many of you know my muffler fell off and i drug it home 2 weeks ago. well everyone is saying to put it back on so i will, but.... what would it do if cut the muffler in half and took out some of the muffling stuff (not sure what it is) and welded it back together? or would it even be worth bothering with?

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Inside of a standard muffler, you're going to have a series of chambers. Think of a maze. This diverts the air back and forth, thus quieting it upon exit. (All of this back and forth is why people want a "free flowing" muffler - unobstructed airway) Anyway, if that's what you have, you could possibly cut some shortcuts for the air...but I'm not sure how well that would work. If you have a glasspack (it doesn't sound like you do) that is basically a 5-6" wide tube, with a 2-3" wide hole going straight through. The wall of the hole has many little holes drilled into it. Behind it is fiberglass matting (hence "glass pack"). If someone says they burnt out a glasspack, that's basically what they did. They either burnt out the fiberglass from heat, or blew it out the exhaust pipe in little bits.
    Would it even be worth bothering with? In my opinion, probably not. You can buy a decent, free flowing muffler for less than the cost of your precious time.

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

nope just go buy a cheap glasspack or turbo muffler /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

do you have duals?

5. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

my $.02
    waaaay too much work overall, and you're probably just going to make things worse, once you mess with the way it was designed, you'll probably mess up the performace...
    just get a new muffler, i have dual dynomax turbo mufflers, they're pretty dang cheap (JEGS) and they sound real nice.
    its just not worth the time to mess with the one you have when you have no idea what the outcome will be, theres a slight chance if you do it right you'll get a little better performance, but theres an even better chance it'll flow worse...

so just suck up the 30 bucks and get a new if you want one thats designed for a high flow and isnt too annyoing...
    i'm not a huge fan of glasspacks, my bro had em on a mid 70s ford, sounded great at idle, but once you hit 50 it wasnt a pleasant vehicle to ride in....
    dynomax turbos are really nice for what you pay for...
    good luck and i hope you find a setup that works well for ya! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. muddysub

ok well i'm just a bored kid with that kinda time on my hands. i'm gettin a whole new system (thorleys, 3" single, hi-flow cat, flowmaster 40 or 50 series) before next year but i was just wondering what to do right now. i'll just leave my old one alone and weld it back on tomorrow or the next day. and wait to get it done right later.

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

or if its to bad you could pick up a cheap one or a glass pack or something and put it in.. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

8. muddysub

naw nothings wrong except it's too quiet /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

9. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

That, and it fell off your truck /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. muddysub

yeah that too /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif