Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Modifying the crossmember for crossover...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5thatShmobs, Mar 17, 2003.

1. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

Im trying to get a gist of my options for my soon to some crossover conversion. I have about 8" in the front, and I know that if I go with a straight draglink Im going to have to either get a new crossmember or "modify" the one I have now. Im wondering if anyone out there has modified (cut away a portion) of their crossmember to run a straight link, and if so, HOW MUCH? Is this a no-no all and all?

2. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

When I do mine, I'm going to install a M.O.O. crossmember. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

I'd like to know the answer to this as well being that I already have a straight draglink and all x-over/histeer components ready to go on /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. I guess it's gonna be a trial and error kinda thing for me /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Just waiting for a couple days of dry weather /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

There must be someone that could shed some light on this one..

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I cut out my cross member and build one out of 2" x 0.250 square tube. WAY overkill but it'll never break. It's similar to the MOO unit but build out of square tube instead of fab'ed "I" beam construction. It also has tabs that bolt up to the stock rivet locations on the motor mount wedges and it has 0.250 plate that laps the side of the frame and bolts through to keep the frame from torqueing. Took about 6 hours start to finish...

6. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I'm developing one to be released to the mases after I get it fine tuned with all my local volunteers.
    It's kinda like what baddog discribed, just replaces the stock one.

-Jeremy

7. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I have 7" of lift in the front and I use the drag link that is bent to clear the cross member. There is no way even under full flex the drag link will ever hit the cross member (on mine).

But that still dosent answer your question huh?