Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mods or Bankruptcy?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by FemBeater74, Oct 17, 2001.

1. FemBeater74

FemBeater74 Newbie

How much would you say is an appropriate amount to spend per month on mods to a Blazer? in particular my husband's blazer, Betsy. (I won't even go into the whole "other woman" personification going on here)
    I want to be fair so I was thinking of NONE-NADA-ZERO.

2. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Can't realy say for sure on a monthly budget.
    I just see something and tell my wife that it is a killer deal and I realy need it and if I don't get it someone else will and it will cost alot more later on.
    But then again she doesn't care how much I spend on it as long as the bills are paid.
    But I guess I could be spending my money on something worthwhile like Crack or Heroine. [​IMG]

<font color=green> Too bad ignorance isn't painful </font color=green>

3. FemBeater74

FemBeater74 Newbie

HE CAN HAVE ALL THE MONEY!

Actually I am always getting on Beater 74's case about his compulsive spending on things for the truck we rarley drive, is loud, uncomfortable, and can't control the inside temerature unless you like to run the heater in all seasons, he gets all these ideas from this website, he said I should go on and see what all the chat is about.
    perhaps I'm jealous of the Blazer, instead of buying me a wedding band that fits, he spends money on spare parts. WHATEVER!

ps: just kidding about having all the money.

4. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Re: HE CAN HAVE ALL THE MONEY!

Just depends on how much you can afford. The way I look at it is with my 89 being paid for if I spend money on it every month it is still cheaper then a $500 a month car payment.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

5. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

LOL, My g/f says the same exact thing!! "Why can't you spend your money on this or that??, Instead you put it all into that POS of yours!!"
    Tell Beater to take you out wheelin' on time to a tough place and you'll see why we put $$ into our trucks. Don't want to get stuck or breakdown now do we [​IMG]
    Boss

Pic of my truck Before N' After
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter</a>

6. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

o S*#T i'm in for it now. be nice guys thats my wife. and understand that betsy is a fairly stock except for the built 350, so all the engine mods are done.

hey steve how do i make my wife orange and if you could give her the title of "she who must be obeyed"

7. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

I don't have this problem: no girlfriend to tell me NO....

-Rich

My truck isn't ugly, you have a skewed sense of beauty

<font color=blue>2007 Ford XLS++ intrepid Ram Superduty 7000 R-type's suck</font color=blue>

8. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Re: HE CAN HAVE ALL THE MONEY!

I delat with my struggles by simply getting divorced. Also had a dramatic increase on my disposable income!

Being an honest, fun-loving guy, we can all get a little carried away sometimes. I know I have bills I could be paying down, but I have spent on average $1000 per month on my rig over the past 6 months.

We all have to find a balance between our responsibilities in life and our toys. If that toy is also a daily driver, that obviously affects things, too.

But, what the he!!. It's only money!! Tell him if he wants to continue spneding money on it and not you, he should go get a second job!

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

9. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

UH OH sounds like another round of..."CK5 wives support group" LOL [​IMG]

<font color=green> Too bad ignorance isn't painful </font color=green>

10. Re: HE CAN HAVE ALL THE MONEY!

As much as you can afford, then steal the rest! LOL Actually, my wife doesn't mind too much as long as the bills are paid. I laid out my plans to her a couple of weeks ago, and she doesn't have a problem as long it will make the truck perform better. She likes wheelin', not walkin'.

God has a hard on for Marines, because we keep Heaven chock full of fresh souls!

11. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

It really is a blast if you get into it. Me and my hubby's conversations are about 80% trucks. It really is fun. He sold his and I missed it so much, I sold my little truck and got a blazer. I have learned a lot from offroading. I don't panic at all if my truck goes sideways. I can pretty much be relaxed and keep it in control spining it around and with blow outs and stuff. It's saved my butt several times just learning to have controlled chaos, ya know? But, he'll find something to spend money on, so why not be a truck? I would rather him be spending money on a truck than beer, prositute, etc.....
    Just find out what he needs to do to it and how much he thinks it'll cost and set something up that way. Make it reasonable to where he gets what he wants in a timely manner, but it's not blowing your budget. Also, go out and see what he's up to and help him out and learn about it. I know when a mechanic is trying to screw me over because of what I've learned. I can also fix stuff if I break down on the road and don't have to worry about a creepy person kidnapping me or something. But, I don't have to worry so much about break downs because we've put some money into my truck and she's damn reliable!

<font color=blue>Women should put pictures of missing men on beer cans...</font color=blue>
    Website link is in my profile [​IMG]

12. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

There's a limit? Dang wish I knew that long ago.... if it's his hobby something he enjoys why try to take that away and say nothing for it? My truck is one of my biggest hobbies. Instead of collect stamps I collect parts.... if you guys have the extra cash then go for it. If not then limit it some. But saying no money for his truck would be like him saying whatever hobby you have should be cut out. Not really fair if ya ask me........

&lt;&gt;&lt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>&gt;&lt;&gt;
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    I keep trying to lose weight, but it always finds me!

13. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

WHEW!

When I saw the .sig "FemBeater74" I thought we had a real case of domestic violence here!!!! [​IMG]

I guess it was just the natural extension of your own .sig line, eh?

FemBeater74....I don't know what to tell you about the Blazer. My wife refers to mine as "...that stupid truck you're always working on...." and I'm sure there is a bit of jealousy on her part about it. But as others have said, the bills are ALWAYS paid first and the extra money that isn't saved for retirement or big purchases can go towards whatever I want.

To be fair, we don't have any joint-accounts so all her money is hers to spend....all mine is for bills, mortgage and K5!!! [​IMG]

-Greg72

14. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

You drive it on the trail once. See what it's all about. Drive over something you would walk around. Then you will understand [​IMG]. My wife STOLE my first K5 from me and I had to go get another one. HONEST. Now the 79 (hers) does have power everything and working A/C. We don't trail ride it anymore. It's just for getting her and the Girls around. Maybe a tank of Gas a month. I'm getting ready to give it a full restore on the body. It already has a NEW engine, Rebuilt everything else. The only thing left that it needs is the drive shafts rebuilt.
    Have you rode in it with the top off on a nice fall evening with it about 70deg out and a light jacket? AMSOME!
    As for comfortable....let him buy some nice seats. That's all that is wrong and easily corrected. Cost a little but a nice set of seats out of a 95 totaled 1500 extended cab sure does feel good on the back side.
    I can't get streached out in them little cars. Get clostrophobic.
    As for the cash...hay you got to enjoy it somehow. It's better that he puts it in a truck he can get something back on IF he were to ever sell it then say Drinking and watching strippers at the Cheetah or Tattle Tails. ( hay Beater you wanna meet down at Tattle tales maybe friday night? hehehe)
    Besides he has done some fine work on that truck (yes I have seen it in person). As far as his truck goes...one of the cleanest best condition ones I have EVER seen of it's age. Once it gets some paint layed on it it will be beautiful! I wish mine was half as nice. You need to look past the miss matched paint and see the jewel beneath. Look at the link in my sig to see how bad those trucks can get and be brought back.....honest he started with a much better condition truck than most of us do.
    Many of the things he has done will not need any more attention for another 20 years. He's just catching up on 26 years worth of wear and tear. It's just these vehicles time for some attention. Every person on the site with a 70's K5 has had to do the same. My wife has made the same complaints but in the end she understands it makes me happy to tinker on the trucks. She's now more than happy to take my 75 when the top is off and the weather is nice instead of her 79. Heck she gets a kick out of the looks she gets when she's cruising around in it. ( I dig seeing her hot self in it too hehee)
    You ever see a 20 year old honda? Hashed ready for the junk yard. No character at all. No reason to even bother with them, they are not even good for parts in a junk yard...just send them straight to the crusher. God forbid you try to restore a old Honda or Toyota. Parts are double to tripple the cost of the parts for his 74. Yes he had some big ticket items to take care of. I know the seals for the top and windows were expensive. Remember it took 26 years before they needed to be replaced. But common stuff like startes and Alternators and tune up parts...it doesn't get any more cheaper than for a old GM.
    That 74 is a CLASSIC. It will alwasy have apeal and collectability.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

15. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

now stop that i think i'm gonna cry. hehehe. thanks

16. FemBeater74

FemBeater74 Newbie

Everyone is here is right! I enjoy being married, and I do enjoy looking down on everyone when I ride in Betsy. I don't care what she looks like for the most part. I've driven my share of POS's with different colored panels. We agreed on a fair amount per month-but I still like to kid him that he loves Betsy more than me-which there's NO WAY that is possible. I guess the problem is I need the White Pages Residence A-M &amp; N-Z on the seat if I ever drive the Blazer, and so far all I feel confident doing is backing her out of the drive way.
    New seats sure would be nice, the duct tape on the seat is sticking to my legs

17. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Yeah seats are the ticket. The Lady is a pitite woman. 5ft1. The stock seats are low. When I put the 75 back together I raised the floor 1 inch and the seats I installed are about 2.5 inches higher at the seat as well as the rake from front to back is less. Much better seating posisiton for her.
    Problem is I have not been able to find another set of these seats for her 79. They came out of a mid 90's Mitsubishi mini van. I'm running the center row captains chairs as fronts. The sweet deal is the seat tracks were 3FT long. I had to cut them down. my passenger seat can be slid till it touches the dash. It also spins, reclines and has double flip down arm rests. I can put a Contico box (the big ones at home Depot) into the back through the side doors. Getting people into the back seat is much easier.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

18. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

Duct Tape on the seats is the best, you can't get more class than that? [​IMG]

Sun Desert Offroad <a target="_blank" href=http://4x4.alloffroad.com>4x4.alloffroad.com</a>