Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mods please delete

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SchnorrCS, May 21, 2006.

1. SchnorrCS

SchnorrCS 1/2 ton status

Ok...First off we're talking 350/th350 with an edelbrock performer 600cfm on an endelbrock performer manny, HEI ignition.

The other day I get in my truck and drive to work. Everything is fine. Come out of work, truck starts hard, and idles worse. As soon as I get it into gear, dies. I can keep it running, but have to constantly give it just a little gas. Ran great before.

I decide it's either a fuel or spark problem.

I have already taken the carb off, taken it apart, cleaned everything, put in off road needles and seats, as well as removed the distributor. Also pulled the plugs. Nice tan/brownish, no oil or fuel foulling.

When I took the carb apart, I found a decent amount of dirt in the float bowls, as well as a fair amount of oil/gas mixture in the valley by the secondaries.

I am still gonna rebuild the distributor, with all new internalls (electrical stuff, thinking the MSD Super POwer or whatever it's called) and also pull the Manifold and reseal it as I have some oil seepage through the bolt holes and a very small coolant leak, and even fix my wicked bad exhaust leak! Finally!!!!

So now for my questions: Anybody else think that the problem was probably just a plugged PCV valve? I thought that's what oil in the carb meant....
    Any other ideas I have just over looked? Help me out fellas....

Thanks for looking

cS

Last edited: May 25, 2006
  2. SchnorrCS

SchnorrCS 1/2 ton status

One other thing......
    I kinda like it when little stuff breaks. My wife loves going 4 wheeling with me, and when the blazer is sick, she'll green light almost anything to get it running!:thinking:

"Honey, sex everyday and night for a month and I know we could jump it ten feet and not break anything....honest...................................................."

3. yoshisv

yoshisv 1/2 ton status

Fuel filter?

4. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Theres a sock on the sending unit in the tank, it could be clogged. You may have a frame mounted fuel filter. Should be on the passenger inner frame rail inline with the fuel lines.

5. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Another place oil could come from in the fuel system, is if you have a mechanical fuel pump, it could have bad seals, and getting engine oil into it. Pull your oil dipstick out, and see if it smells like gas? (That is "IF" you have a mechanical fuel pump)

6. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

vacuum leak?

7. Bullitt427

Bullitt427 Registered Member

Timing off?

Either at the distributor or even the timing chain jumping a tooth.

I would rule out the fuel pump if it stalls in gear, but works if you "two-foot" it to keep the idle up.

You'll always find a little crud in the bottom of the bowls inside an AFB style carb.

Could also be a vacuum leak. Try a propane bottle and wave around the suspect areas. If the idle raises, ya found the culprit.

Sex with Shannon huh? Been there, done that.

8. SchnorrCS

SchnorrCS 1/2 ton status

So who is this? You must know me, so I can only assume your a good friend and it's all jokes, or somebody else...

9. SchnorrCS

SchnorrCS 1/2 ton status

Well well, if it isn't Josh Jones....
    How's the sandwich biz? Still as good for ya as it was in HIGH SCHOOL?!?

I'll be home for some leave this weekend. See ya then...

10. Bullitt427

I didn't work there in highschool, sorry. Good luck with your Chevy.

11. SchnorrCS

SchnorrCS 1/2 ton status

Maybe not the same one, but close. Apples to apples really, don't ya think?

I actually appriciated the tip, the propane bottle is a new idea for me, but ya couldn't leave it at that though, could ya? Way to go dude. You posted the single crappiest thing I have ever read on this site. Be proud of that.

12. Bullitt427

I didn't work at any Quiznos in highschool, regardless of which store.

I was just surprised I knew who you were. I have a buddy wanting to weld up a front bumper on his Chevy and he saw some stuff on here. It was you asking for dimensions on the frame and I knew it was too much of a coincidence for a name like Schnorr.

Hey I take back the Shannon comment, I knew you guys would end up together eventually.

Josh

13. SchnorrCS

SchnorrCS 1/2 ton status

ok. If he needs some help with his blazer, have him get in touch. I've got lots of parts and stuff from my build up, and I'll be back in Co in Oct. I started making winch mounts and all, so if he needs welding help, I'll help him out.

14. Bullitt427

Sorry your post if getting hijacked.

Basically he wants an ARB style bumper, I made one similar for my Frontier which I later sold.

I'm mainly a F*RD (which you knew) and Nissan guy, so when a Chevy question arises I can't answer.

I still have the 1974 Ford pick-up. With a 498 CI 427 top oiler. 505 horsepower at 6200 RPM.

I also have a 2003 Nissan Supercharged Frontier king cab and a 1997 Nissan Pathfinder LE.

Thanks for the help, I realize our history isn't the best and all.

Josh

15. SchnorrCS

SchnorrCS 1/2 ton status

I've made a bunch of bumpers for some of the Marines here at Camp Pendleton, so have him hit me up and we can figure something out. I have a metal shop in my garage on base now. But I get out after 8 years in October, cause I got hurt and am getting a medical discharge, so I'll be home sep-oct timeframe. I still have my 83 GMC but I also have my 74 blazer and my 04 WRX that I've done a bunch of stuff to (12.93 quarter). Good times.