Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1. NightWolf

NightWolf Registered Member

Hey, Im fixin on buying a 84K5 and was wondering what some good mods would be. Like lift tires, acsesories ect... Please describe in detail or in brief. Im extremly new to this, but willing to learn. Thanks, Wolf

This is your brain--Chevy-- This is your brain on drugs--Ford--

2. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Welcome,
    I think a good first mod would be a suspension lift(size depending on what you need, money, and so on)If you don't have that much money to spend get a body lift but it will require some modifications to correct everything. Well, if you have a lift you are going to need bigger tries( most of the time) If you get bigger tires you are going to need stronger axles and lower gears. Depending on how much off roading you do and what kind you might need a locker. If you have bigger tires, you are going to need more power. If you do lots of off roading or 4wheel alone get a winch. If you don't do any off roading and want more of a show truck, invest in extrior accesories like chrome bumpers, custom paint, and so on. I listed some mods but there are tons more.

<font color=red>CHECK OUT MY SITE</font color=red>
    http://blazer-jimmy.coloradok5.com

3. NightWolf

NightWolf Registered Member

I have been thinking of a 4in sus lift and a 2 inch body lift. then get 35in tires. It will be for more show than go but believe me it will go every now and then. There fore i would really not swap out axles and gears. Im sure ill do some engine mods but not a engine make over (not yet anyway) :-) Then ill go for the add ons that make it look good. Such as chrome bumpers and light bar ect... Thanks for your help. You guys/gals here at ColoradoK5 are extremley friendly. Thanks again,

Wolf

This is your brain--Chevy-- This is your brain on drugs--Ford--

4. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I don't know much about it either...but body lifts are supposed to be the work or satan. There bad.

<font color=blue>If its too loud, your too old.</font color=blue>
    http://82Jimmy.coloradok5.com

5. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Excessive ones yes 82Jimmy, but not minor ones. I'd say 2" is Max...which is what I have and I love it. No problems at all.

6. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Before the lift and bigger tires, put on a steering box brace for the frame. Go to www.offroaddesign.com and they will explain why its so important. Pay $100 now or pay a lot more later to fix a damaged frame/steering box.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

7. Dave A

Dave A Registered Member

I've been thinking about this very thing (what mods,what order) and this is the theory I've come up with. A lift is going to be almost the last thing I put on my Blazer(when I get one) The first things I am going to do are 1) POR-15 the underside and frame,(to slow down rust) 2)Rhino line the interior, 3) put on a roof rack and KMA rear bumper with tire carrier to free up room on the inside. After that, everything will go into bulletproofing the drivetrain, before I get a lift. 3/4 ton axles,gears, steering upgrades, brakes, etc. I think alot of people just want a lifted truck and dont make the proper preparations, this causes problems later on. I would have to fix all of that stuff after I got a lift anyway, why not upgrade BEFORE it breaks(probably in the middle of nowhere)? Dont get me wrong, I want a lift on mine too, I'm just going to take my time, not get impatient and do it right. This is just MY VIEW! I'm not trying to tell anybody else that they did it wrong or anything.

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

To creat a list of mods in any kind of order would be VERY tuff in my mind.
    Fist thing is every rig is and has different needs.
    I would say get the current motor/drivertrain to a reliable running condition then pic one mod at a time!
    You can start with inerrior or the power plant doesn't matter cuz once you get K5 feaver you ain't NEVER gonna be done with your rig. As time moves on so will your visions on were you want your rig to be.
    I started of with just a camping rig and some light duty wheelin, now I'm building to servive in the widerness for weeks while crawlin thru the nasty stuff!!
    Good Luck and Welcome abord, Im sure you will get tons of info here!!

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

9. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

O started just wanting the cool old 4x4 with no top and now look at it way more power than needed, 15 gear forward, 3 back! Line lock, 4 wheel disc, A/C that works, 6 point cage, winch, heavy duty bumpers,lockers, 35 inch tires, and thers 5 more thing I want to do this month!

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken