Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Modular homes?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ryan22re, Jul 29, 2006.

1. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Any body have one of the nicer ones? or have been in one? Wife and I are considering buying a 3-5 acre plot of land and having one of these thrown up on it. I wouldn't even consider it until I went to the "factory" and see how they are built. This is the company we are considering buying from: http://www.ncmodulars.com/index.htm

and this model in particular or something similar:

http://www.ncmodulars.com/Homes%20starting%20under%20155k/Laurel%20I/

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

our neighbor put one in. was weird, left the house for work one morning, came home, bam there was a house next door.

They like to tell you "built to meet any codes in any state", but I can tell you for a fact our neighbors house does not meet the local codes. The stairs are far too steep to meet code.

I haven't been in it but my Dad says the floors feel like they give under you. The floor joists are space out, ugh can't remember how much off hand but its much wider than we do when building a house.

And to end it, all the detail stuff kills you. Our neighbor has been working on his for months now. But hes also taken on a lot of stuff himself and hired jackasses to do the stuff hes not doing himself.

3. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

My parents have a heckamen built modular. Its been up for about 10 years now with no problems. Me and my dad finished the upstairs.. way better Idea

4. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

That was the plan, for me and my dad to finish the upstairs...have a CK5 office and a guest bedroom.

I'm sure that the floors could be built for no squeaks...i.e. suggest closer spacing on the floor joists...and screw the floor down instead of nails....

5. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

my wife and i looked into them before we bought our house. They make them very nice and very appealing, however, i didn't like the quality. I have also heard the only go down in value despite what everybody says. So, we chose to go a different route.

6. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Just like any business You will have quality company's and cheap ones. I have seen modulars that were built better than a lot of house's I have seen. The good ones will have 2x6 exterior walls with 2x4 interior walls on 16" centers. 2x10 or 2x8 joist on (I believe) 24" centers. Another thing that will make fro a sturdy modular home is the one's that are glued as well. They literally put a bead of glue one every stud and joist before the sheeting is nailed down. Another thing I like is a lot of them are built indoors so that the material is not exposed to the elements. I have seen new home construction with warped floor sheeting due to being soaked from rain water.

7. NoReGrEtS

NoReGrEtS 1/2 ton status

I don't know about Washington but in CA they don't lose there value. My buddy bought his 3years ago for 109 thousand and is selling it right now for 220. Its old to. The one we have looked at were nice but still had the Mobile home feel to them

8. NoReGrEtS

NoReGrEtS 1/2 ton status

X2.

Once the floors get wet they start to be-laminate takes a long time but it will happen and then you will be changing them out (not cheap)

9. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

This, more than likely would be the last house that momma an I live in, so, not too worried about that.

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

2 of them here!..

Our next door neighbors just had a new modular home built last summer,and another one across the street went in about 5 years ago...I've been in the one across the street--its built by Coachman,the same company that makes the campers in PA..I'd say its a very sturdily built home,its got 2x10 floor joists and roof rafters,2x6 walls,and its all plywood,no waferboard or OSB crap board!..its 28x52',and it was delivered and installed the same day!..it even had furniture and pictures hanging on the wall,and wall to wall carpet in it,when it was delivered!:eek1: ..and a key in the front door!..

The other one next door I've only seen it from outside,and while it was being erected..it looked to be similar to the other one,big rafters and floor joists..we need them here,as snow can get 3' deep often lately..I used to be friends with the woman who owns it,but we had a falling out,and we don't speak to each other unless absolutely nessasary (long story:rolleyes: )..so I've never been inside it..its 3 times the size of the shack it replaced..

There are several places nearby that sell modular homes,but I cant recall the names...one place I drove by in Uxbridge MA has a display home with a huge banner on it--says 73,500 dollars!..and its a HUGE house,at least 3 story!--and a beautiful gambrel style garage about 30x30' next to it with an upstairs is priced at 28,500!!..but that was last summer,who knows how much they cost now..

I'd be very tempted to go modular if I end up moving from here someday..
    Either that or I'd live in my Quonset,and buy another for a garage!..:crazy:

11. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

In CA, Ma and Pa Kettle's outhouse wouldn't lose value.

12. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

I had a new fleetwood built for me.. 16 x 56... loaded with everything you can put in one... we figured we live in it for two years before we built a custom home.. its year 5 now and its been totally trouble free... 2 x 6 construction with hardi plank...

its no custom home... but the price reflects that and if you stay up with routine maintenance then most of the issues with them dont occur.. paint... floors etc...
    My interior walls feel hollow (they arent I spec'd insulation everywhere... I checked) .. but thats because they are only 3/8 drywall....
    I replaced all my fixtures and lights with custom ones... actually had to fight with them NOT to install cheap stuff that I said I would just tear out and throw away...

Set up was zero hassle... I went a full foundation and the home is built with stem walls to the foundation.. just like a regular home... no piers or cinder blocks for me... it will pass any ca earthquakes standards... I also sepc'd the house for any snowload.. it cost 2k more but it was worth every penny for insulation and addtl roof joists.. it makes it saleable anywhere.... the home is worth as much today as when I bought it because of building expenses going up

My place is CHEAP to run... we had to run the a/c 24 hrs a day for a couple of weeks because of the heat.. bill still came in at around 90 dollars.. and thats CHEAP for PG and E.. most people paid of 400.00 last month... about 30.00/mo of propane keeps the place warm and me and the wifely smelling nice with twice daily showers

Some aspects are cheap... the way some things are done.. you can tell the person that did it had no pride and just the git er done attitude...Ive done alot of modifications and fixes of sloppy workmanship,, but thats because Im picky..... the service people (3 yr bumper to bumper 10 yr structural) were awesome and would do anything I asked without hassle... that made the experience totally pleasant..

It wasnt cheap... it was 52k setup.. with power and water.. about the cost of a super loaded suburban ..which for me put it all in perspective... I could have built a nice cabin for that... but.. it all happened in 3 days setup.. and three weeks build time... and that beat living in a RV thru the winter...
    Would I do it again.. I dont know... when we sell here we definately are going to build a custom house..Ive done that twice.. its a great achievement

cam

13. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

We made a trip up there this past Saturday. The prices aren't too bad on some of the Vanderbuilt homes. Theya re a pretty good size and quality is good, in my opion. However, what they fail to mention is the little extra costs of everything. We are, were looking at one of their models for 125k, 2200 sq ft. 4 bedroom, with an extra 1000 sq ft up stairs. Now they don't include appliances, which no homes these days do. Dishwasher installation was another 450. Now you have to make sure your property is clear so the crane can get in there and you are also responsible for electrical, sewage, water hookups.

All in all its not a bad deal if your looking for a some what of a bargain. We have decided to go with a local company, still modular, but are also general contractors, who will do all of this for us and we don't have to sub contract ourselves. Comes with alot more standards than Vanderbuilt offered as options like crown molding throughout, tile counters and back splashes, tile floors in the kitchen and bathrooms and litle things like that. Plus they include porches unlike the Vanderbuilt.

Options I like about the modular homes is if you see one thing in a house you like, you can pretty much piecemeal a home you like. Going to go sometime in the next few weeks and design our house and find us a few acres....

Going to their showcase of homes isn't bad, it gives you a real idea of the quality of the homes. The first few I looked at still had the "steel trailers" underneath due to them just being set up but some of the older ones, I managed to find underpinnings open, seemed just like a house with regualr floor joists and such. We were not disappointed that we made the 3 hour drive there.

If you have any questions just ask away, I spent the day up there questioning and educating myself.

The Laurel I your looking at costs 129,995 base.

14. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

I'll be requesting info from them on monday, so that may or may not answer my questions.

When you say dishwasher hookup and electric hookup, does that mean they are wired/plumbed for the stuff, or you have to pay extra to have the stuff installed? And the electric hooked up to the house? Do they ship with drywall and or flooring installed?

15. 79Stomper

We seen one pass us on the way to the showcase and on the road it looked just like a mobile home. Shipped with drywall in and floors as well. They take the two parts, crane them on the foundation material of your choice and join the two together. The center wall, where they connect, is like 8 or so inches thick. Caught my eye right off. Have to pay for the dishwasher hookup and electrical, I mean having the box and everything onstalled and ran to the fuse panel. One thing I did notice, that you would have to "order to have cable and telephone outlets put it in. Didn't notice the pricing on that.

The informtion they send you is great, even comes with a DVD to watch. Shows prt of the manufacturing process and floor plans for all but do not include the prices of them. We looked at a few of the 200+k dollar houses they had and WOW. The smaller ones are really nice and I plan on buying a modular. They said it would cost an extra 1000 to come down here due to high wind zones and such to get here. I have some brochures I could scan and send if you like and a few pricing sheets on some models.

16. 79Stomper

Oh, one more thing I just looked at the pricing sheet, and here are some of the prices for the optional stuff, like electrical and plumbing and such.

Trane 13' Seer Comfort Package 5,850.00- Done on site
    HBV Plumbing 1,999.00- Done on site
    HBV Electrical package 799.00- Done on site
    7/12 Pitch Roof 1,995.00
    7/12 Dormer 999.00
    Raised Oak Panel Cabinets 499.00
    Sliding Glass Door 895.00
    etc. etc.

A 98,000 dollar house we were looking at turned to 114,373 with options.

17. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

I'd love to have copies of the pricing stuff. I'll wait for my dvd/info in the mail.

Thanks for the info :waytogo:

18. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Do a lot of research, there is a huge difference between MODULAR and MANUFACTURED. The dealers will usually refer to them as UBC (mod.) and HUD (man.). There will be a major difference in available financing (which you need to consider not only for yourself but for resale value).

A true modular home is considered no different than a stick built home, both by the lenders and the counties. A manufactured (read: mobile) will always be a mobile home, regardless of whether or not you put it on a foundation. If it ever has a vehicular (chattel) title then it will be a stigma that never goes away.

I deal with this all the time in my business and I do not necessarily think that a manufactured home is a bad thing, I just thing you need to be aware of the differences (especially before you talk to a dealer). Depending on the housing market in your area, it could make no difference at all. In some markets you are better off paying a little more for a true Mod., in others the value will be pretty much the same.

19. SUPER'BURB

SUPER'BURB 1/2 ton status

My wifes grandfather built has one.

It is a nice place and put together well.

Keep in mind that he did alot of the work himself and is a very high quality carpenter.

20. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Boo, they want $5000 extra dollars to build in SC. Plus they won't come to the county we want, even though its less than 20 miles from the county in which they will build.