Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Modulator?

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by RedDwarf, Aug 3, 2002.

1. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Ok, a search didn't really turn up too much here...what exactly does a modulator do?

My friends all are running linears, but I'm not sure this is the way I want to go...

Can a modulator be added to any CB? Will it work with my Firestik?

Thanks

2. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Mod kits is what your talking about correct? Here's the basics with them. When installed they will make your radio sound louder, but at no greater distance. They will also shorten the life of the radio by overheating the circuit board, weakening the sodder points.

3. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

They do have external modulators, but are considered to be the same as linears to the FCC /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

4. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Are the external modulators as effective as the internal ones?

I really don't need to go more than about 4 miles or less maybe...

5. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

What kinda a radio you got? 4 miles is not hard to achieve at all....

6. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

I have a Uniden 510 XL and a 4' Firestik

I'm pretty sure that it will get out to 4 miles no prob, but I just mean I want as much clarity as possible to that distance and maybe more if I can do that w/o spending too much

7. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

External modulators are expensive, not the way to go if you are trying to stay cheap. I had a guy go through my radio and install an internal mod. and beef up the finals so they could handle the heat, the only thing is you need to keep your swr as low as possible, and mine id running way to high until I get the antenna moved /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

8. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

I see. Thanks.

Well, when I had the radio installed before, I'm thinking maybe I didn't have it grounded well enough. I think this time when I put it in, I'm going to do a better job of grounding the antenna and hopefully that will help.

Thanks again

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Personally I like the external Modulators. I plan on running one with a Linair right after it. I would recomened a good power mic for your app. Look at my post in this fourm for Bigfoot Radio Repair. Click on the link to his web site, then click on new product. Scroll down to the mikes and look at the handheld D-104 mic's. One of those will make ya loud !!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

10. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

I have a Texas Star V-Plus external modulator and puts my modualtion swing up to about 150 watts, You know what they say, you haven't got a thing if you haven't got that swing. An external modulator is a great way to go for the money. The V-Plus I have is a varible modulator too, that is a good thing. Just make sure it is set up with your radio and don't cheap on the coax.

John