Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Moisture in oil

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nad, Mar 6, 2006.

1. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

I have a significant amount of moisture in my motor oil. I think it might be from when I went wheeling through water and my air cover was loose and it sucked in water. I'm unsure what to do about this, because everytime I put oil in it, it nearly solidifies into that foamy crap because of the moisture. What would you guys recommend? Full engine flush? Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks guys.

2. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Could be a bad head gasket

3. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

I believe they make a paper test that you can buy form autozone or one of your local auto suppliers. You dip it in your radiator and it tells you if there is exhaust gases in your radiator fluid. That would be a way to see if you have a blown head gasket of if you just took on some water while wheeling. I would just do a couple of oil changes to get the H2O out if thats the case.

4. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

If the above checks out ok, I'd also make sure the PCV system is working. It helps to pull moisture out of the crankcase. You might also want to do a simple pressure test on your cooling system. If coolant is getting into your oil, you need to fix the problem before it wipes your bearings.

5. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

Okay, well I've investigated further. Someone told me to fill my radiator with antifreeze/water, then monitor the level of it. I did that about 2 days ago, drove it for about a half hour, then checked it. The radiator is now near empty and I even filled my reserve to the FULL mark. So is this a bad head gasket or is this my coolant pressure? Fill me in, I need to know what to do/not to do ASAP. Will this call for a cheap fix? Expensive fix? New motor? Now I'm worried.

6. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

If you're losing that much coolant in a half an hour, you should be seeing either some major steam coming out of the exhaust or MAJOR water in the oil. I hate to say it, but it's probably time for a rebuild, brother.........:frown1:

7. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

It doesn't shoot steam or anything like that, at least that I notice. It shoots thin amounts of exhaust out of the tailpipe though, it looks/sounds normal to me. The motor was weak when I bought it, and now I have reason to believe that it was like this when I bought it too. I know that changing a head gasket is hard, but I'm not even sure how to it. Anyone know of a ball-park price of how much a rebuild would cost? I'm a college kid that knows nothing when it comes to rebuilding motors.