Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mojave Heaters...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ryoken, Sep 24, 2006.

1. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Heres the story, bear with me... :o

Blew the heater core out a couple months ago, no big, bypassed...

Now that colder weather is approaching and I have some time to work on the truck after finishing all my home improvement stuff, I figured I'd tear into it today...

Since I decided to ditch AC, I figured I'd swap in my "heat only" box out of my 77... Pick up a little engine room space, etc....

Well, after taking the factory unit out, inside and out, I'm loving all the engine room space! I'd love to patch up the firewall just have a heater inside... Heck maybe do a dual group 27 tray over there..

Anyways, been looking at the Flex-a-lite mojave heater and Summits version...

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...&N=700+4294924500+4294839041+115&autoview=sku

and

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...&N=700+4294924500+4294839041+115&autoview=sku

Honestly, I think I'm gonna go with the Summit.. 28,000 btu's vs 12,000 supposedly... Appears to be more mounting friendly size and shape wise.. Has 2 ducts, I'll leave one to the floor and vent the other to defrost...

[​IMG]

Can I get away with this in the Northeast with a DD? Do they work reasonably well?

Wonder what a factory heater "puts out" BTU-wise? :thinking:

I dont need much, a good defrost would probably get me by.... :wink1:

Any running these, please chime in.... :bow:

2. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I don't have one yet, but I was also looking at the summit one too. Seems to better built. I have seen the Mojave heaters in person and was not to impressed. They look to be very cheaply made, 75% plastic. The summit one looks close to be well built and having double the BTU's will be nice.

3. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I don't have one yet, but I was also looking at the summit one too. Seems to better built. I have seen the Mojave heaters in person and was not to impressed. They look to be very cheaply made, 75% plastic. The summit one looks close to be well built and having double the BTU's will be nice.

4. ryoken

hehe, in stereo... I can finally see these responses... Thanks Cegus, good info... Measured it up tonight... Going for it... The Summit will fit perfect in there..

Definitely doing a dual group 27 tray out in the engine compartment now on the other side.. measured it up, it's gonna be badass... All electrical on that passenger side.. Coming up with a watertight box config right now for up near the rad support (where the single battery was)..

Gonna have my battery switch there (internallly mounted, knob showing thru), ACR, all breakers and relays for lights and fans in it.. May even run winch solenoids in there at some point... Building it out of the composite my console and dash are made of..

5. ryoken

BTT

Opinions guys?

6. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

a friend of mine runs the mohave in his jeep. it works, but might not be enough for a fullsize.