Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Molded Roof Light Thingy

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tecton, Oct 15, 2003.

1. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

Ever seen the jeep liberty?
    [​IMG]
    they've got a nice little light setup going on there...albeit small.

Im wondering if there is one of those that is sold that could fit our trucks and hold mabye 4 5inch lights.

If not, any idea what the cost of having it custom made from fiber glass would run?
    I also want something like that for the back...here is an image to illistrate
    [​IMG]
    not exact, but you get the idea

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gifI haven't seen anything like that available for our trucks...maybe for good reason /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif (sorry, had to throw my own opinion in there)

The cost to have something like that custom made/molded would be rediculously expensive. You'd be better off trying to retro-fit something from another vehicle, but as Supersize75 knows, that's not always too easy. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

to each his own, hehe

hmmm...i wonder what i could make it out of

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

ya know they cant even sell them libertys with that light thing in some states because of light-height laws??...well i personally think it would look hideous on a k5..just mount some lights to the roof..but beware of low hanging trees when they peel the roof back..

5. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

personally, i think this would look better than "lights on a stick"

6. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    to each his own

[/ QUOTE ]
    ABSOLUTELY. I say go for it, or something close to it, if that's what you've got your heart set on. Hey, just think, if people didn't do half the "odd" things they think up, we probably wouldn't be driving around lifted trucks with swapped in axles and big-blocks, etc. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[end hi-jack] /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

7. sharkman726

sharkman726 Registered Member

I know Carr makes a light bar that may hold 4 that can fit. but not out of fiberglass. I think it cost like 80.00. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

that jeep liberty thing is the uglyest thing ive seen on 4 wheels next to that aztech. i would just put a regualer oll light bar on!

9. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

dude, i for one think its cool. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif i agree, to each their own. no one wants to run around looking like a clone, lol. i say, go for it. make it yur self and save some bucks. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif forget negative a$$holes /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gifthis site supports creativity and ingenuity, but all in the name of safety. build it, install it, and dare i say it, maybe start a trend /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif good luck. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

10. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

I remember seeing a low priced plastic welding kit at Harbor Freight awhile back - I almost got it but must have forgotten about it before leaving the store. They must lose serious $$$ in sales just by having a dishevelled store. I might also have it in my garage somewhere but cant say where it is if I do! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I bet you could go a long way by just adding plastic to an existing lightbar that already fits your K5. You would have the structure/sturdiness of a metal lightbar but a more (insert design word here) appearance. It would be pretty easy to change or customize to your liking and then finish by surfacing and painting. If it looks good enough, you might even be able to market it, or at least have it mass produced in southeast asia for pennies on the dollar and give away to your buddies here!

Bling Bling! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

11. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

or you could go to the mall and find yourself a jeep liberty and borrow it /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif It's almost christmas time and the parking lots are packed!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif really though i'd just get a light bar but i guess it might be cool to make a caseing thing out of diamondplate and throw some 6 inchers up there, that might look mexican /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

12. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

a plastic welder?

explain...ive never heard of this but if its what i think it is i want one asap...

does it just use electric heat? or you need gas?

what would you use to form and shape sheets of plastic?

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i think fiberglass would be the best thing to use. Ive never done it myself, but I think for the s-10 interior I might give it a go. Im just gonna get a few books on fg from the library, read up on it, get the materials and try it. A really well done piece in fiberglass may take quite a bit of time to produce, but is also very trick. Ive seen some custom wavey-looking sub enclosures that people have done with fiberglass and they are tight! very bling. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j

14. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

Here's the welder that they had on sale at one time (I wouldnt have paid more than $20 for it, IF that):

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=41592

Here's the rods that they sell for it:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=41602

It appears to use 110V, although there are some obscure references to PSI and a regulator, so perhaps it require air too....

To effectively use it to make a lightbar cover, you would probably have to make some sort of mold of your existing lightbar and then mold the plastic into it. I think the rods they sell are for joining existing plastic, so you would no doubt have to obtain sheet plastic somewhere...

If you went to the trouble to make a mold of your lightbar, you could probably experiment with all sorts of materials, such as fiberglass and the like.

OH, and Harbor Freight sells really cheap stuff - I only go there to get things/tools that dont have to be top notch - like electrical tape, prybars, chisels/punches, etc. Plus they have a store in my town, so it's really easy to take stuff back, which I've had to do more than once.

15. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    that might look mexican /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What is that supposed to mean? /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif