Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Momma wants a new vehicle

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ryan22re, Jun 9, 2006.

1. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

So my wife is pregnant again, that will make two in December. Son will be three in February. So she wants a new vehicle. Went shopping today, and I'm really not sure what to buy her. I tried to sell her on an Envoy/Trailblazer, but they are too small for her (she's a woman and she's pregnant, so you can rule out any common sense and or reasoning abilites).

So we started looking at the fullsize SUV's. Yukon's, Tahoe's and Expedition's. I really like the third seat (and the whole truck) in the 03 and up Ex's as it folds flat in spite of the IRS. But she doesn't like the interior. The GM's are way more expensive than the Fords. Like $4-5k more expensive for a similarly equipped truck. Why is that? As much as i dislike anything other than GM vehicles they seem to have a decent product. But I don't want to get into something that won't hold it's value reasonably well.

I dare not include Toyota Sequoia's just for the fact that I'm sure they are just as expensive or more than the Chevy's. But I guess that could be an option too if the price were right.

We looked at an 03 Ex with a 5.4 leather interior for $21k Not bad considering they'd give us $6k trade in for her car (which is paid off).

What do you think?

2. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I think you should wait until she has the kid and then do the Envoy/Trailblazer thing again. That's a lot of truck for someone who doesn't haul 6 kids or an entire dorm room around.

3. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Any chance of a crew cab like James' or Paul's? I was really impressed with the quiteness of the diesel, and the roomy, good looking interior! :laugh:

4. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Yeah, but she doesn't drive it hardly at all anyway. She will be switching to a two day a week work schedule. And it's mostly around town where the fullsizes and midsize suv's get the same fuel mileage. At least comparing an Ex/Yuk/Tahoe to an Envoy/trailblazer. I'd rather put her in a fullsize anyway, because I dislike the s trucks a little, maybe just because I used to have to work on them all of the time.

A crew cab isn't gonna cut it. She wants the third row seat, and mini-vans are out.

5. mikey_d05

Why? We've bought two new Windstars in a row. The first was totalled on a freeway at 133k and the current one is going strong at 190k.

6. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

:rolleyes:

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

We have an 1999 EB Expedition with 115,000 on it. It runs great and is very comfortable for 2 adults and 3 kids.

8. k2mslskier

k2mslskier 1/2 ton status

Well I'm not suggesting what we have I'm just putting in my .02. We picked up a 99 Durango last year...SLT, 5.9, leather, 3rd row seat, yadda yadda yadda. Has performed "okay" but I definately wouldn't buy another one. Have had to replace the computer, ball joints both sides, has an acceleration issue and the fuel mileage sucks donkey p*ss. I guess I now know why the previous owner traded it in.

After we bought it I started doing some research on those buyer's guides and consumer websites and found a lot of people have complained to Dodge about the ball joint issue. As far as I know to this day they haven't owned up to it. My fault for doing the research AFTER the paperwork was signed.:doah:

9. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Dodge's are out.

Not even a consideration.

10. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Now she wants to go look at an envoy xl/trailblazer ext. Maybe I won't have to sell my rig after all.

11. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Why?
    After My last two GM products and getting to know the local GM service manager on a first name basis I bought a Dodge Dakota last year. I know have over 23,000 miles on it with zero problem. Most dependable vehicle I have ever owned. GM just got to ugly and poorly built to keep Me as a customer.

12. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

I have never been a fan of Dodges, I was formerly a Gm tech, know the owner of the dealer pretty good, the service manager there has done some goodwill (read: free) repairs on my Grand Prix after it was out of warranty. And the owner's daughter of that dealership owns the Chevy dealership down the street. So....Gm it is. Plus I know everyone of the techs.

Dodge has never impressed me. Ever. Except for the 340. Thats my only exception. Screw the hemi. Make it a 69 or 70 dart with a steel crank 340, pistol grip 4speed and a 4.10 sure-grip. In that funky ass green color. Then I'm in.

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Minivans rocks. My mom has a late 90s Chrysler. The thing can haul a ton of people, a ton of gear, gets good gas mileage and can go over 100 mph. I see no reason to waste the extra $$$$ on a big SUV in this case. For what it is its amazing what a kick in the pants it is to drive. I've certainly never driven a big SUV that accellerated to freeway speed like moms minivan does.

If you're rich or whatever, thats cool... buy the biggest SUV ever made with the biggest engine you can get and hammer down. :thumb:

j

14. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Agreed. When My wife got pregnant We knew We would need a vehicle for Her that had the room for all the baby stuff along with grocery's and what not. We knew that it came down to either a SUV or a minivan. We chose a minivan over an SUV for the simple fact that it was cheaper, more room, better MPG and lower on insurance. Besides We already own a K5 so it was a no brainer.

15. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Short of taking her car and trading it in on a minivan and then bringing it home and handing her the keys and saying "here, drive it or walk", I'm not going to get her in a minivan. I have tried. Even when I got the GM employee discount I couldn't talk her into it. Trust me I tried.

16. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

There are some benefits to an SUV as long as she does not drive much. My wife puts very few miles on hers so gas isn't a problem. Neither is hauling a trailer with the kids in the truck for 2 hours to visit family. I also like the safety factor. Some will argue, but I'm guessing that the Expedition would win in a collision with most cars and minivans.

17. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

my kind of girl
    i will NEVER own a minivan

18. mikey_d05

I'm going to get booted from the lounge for this but considering the amount of off-road time 99% of today's SUV's see, a minivan outdoes them in pretty much every category.

19. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

The Mini looks like a mini minivan:haha: :haha: :haha:

20. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Exactly!