Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MONEY & TIME - Question about 10bolt/12bolt rear and regearing

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Aug 21, 2003.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Here's the situation. I'm getting ready to lift my DD 4" and toss under some new tires. Right now I'm running 3.08's in stock 10bolts. I have a 12bolt 3.73 in the garage that came out of my 84 blazer years ago.

The situation....
    I want to regear to 4.10's, either way I have to regear both. My 10bolt is setup with newer bearings and seals with an auburn rearend that has been tweeked and runs great! The 12bolt has a fractured gov-lok housing and no brakes (I know the 10bolt stuff will swap over) BUT I do have an Eaton with Clutch type Limited slip.

Options
    Just regear the 10bolt to 4.10's (I just found out the Auburn can take 4.10's)
    New seals and bearings in the 12bolt, install the eaton with new bearings and 4.10, then swap over the brakes.

Question part two... Is the 12bolt any stonger that would prompt the change? Either way the front and rear axles will be out the next next week for regearing.
    <FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://coloradok5.com/forums/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1061510908jjlaughner">

What would you do
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="1" />Just regear the 10bolt and go! (roughly $150)
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="2" />Do the 12bolt swap its worth it (roughly $250)
    <INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"></form>

(the 14bolt I have with 4.10's will be going in my trail rig /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif)

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

a 12 bolt is not that much stronger than a 10 bolt and would not be worth the extra cost and hassle to swap it over just my .02