Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Money to spend

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by freeflow, Sep 30, 2006.

1. freeflow

freeflow 1/2 ton status

Well since winter is almost here we decided to wait till next year to build another garage, So i think im gonna spend some money on the truck.

As of now its stock 350/700/208 10 bolts. Im planning on getting a 4" lift- not sure on a shackle flip or just springs for the rear. And for axles i have 2 full sets of 10 bolts that i can use and regear/rebuild. But i have a 14 ff in the garage 2 that i would really like to put in the truck but not sure if i should leave the 10 bolt out front or find a 60.

What would you guys do? and what gears do you think i should go with??? im thinking 4.56 with a detroit in the rear. And 35-37" tires and probably cut out fender flares- i have about $3500 that i could spend but i would like to keep some money saved up. And im guessing im gonna have to rebuild the motor and tranny within not to long also...

Thanks brad

2. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

definitely use the 14 bolt. dana 60's are great but unless you are going wheeeling all the time you can get away with a 44 or 10 bolt with an 8 lug conversion. I ran the same engine and trans combo with 4.56's in a 14 bolt with a detroit and 35's. lots of power and still decent rpm's on the highway thanks to overdrive. If you don't want to go with a 4" flip get a 2.5" flip and 2" springs or blocks. On 20 year old trucks it never hurts to put a fresh set of springs on.

3. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

If you have a 14BFF, use it.

If you plan on wheeling in the winter you might want to rethink the Detroit. (I am going to get flamed now) The reason I say this is due to the fact you live in the land of ice and snow. Nothing is more unnerving then going around a corner and giving it the gas and have the Detroit lock up on you when you least expect it. That is why I went with a ARB, it is either on or off.

Are you going to use this as a daily driver, play rig, or a little of both?

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Not a flame, but I found having a detroit in the snow was better than open. It took more throttle input to get the rears to break loose, in fact I had to be pretty agressive to get it to slide out sideways. If it's icy or slippery enough that it's an issue with the Detroit it's also icy or slippery enough that you'd be sideways with an open diff (or not going anywhere at all).

Rene

5. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

I totally agree with that, The point I was attempting to make was the Detroit locking in on the corners when you are not ready for it to happen..

6. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I have a Detroit in the back and a Powerlock up front and my wife uses it to drive to work in the snow with no issues. I can't think of ever having a problem with a Detroit in bad weather.

7. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

I had a Detroit in my Burb, and it definitely did slide out a few times. Being so long a wheelbase though it is very easy to correct for. I imagine the Blazer with a shorter wheel base and lighter rear end should be interesting. I guess I'll be finding out soon enough.

That said, there are rules to driving in ice/snow with a Detroit. One of which is constant speed through turns, especially long sweeping curves. Once you play with them and break 'em loose a few times it is pretty easy to predict.

Oh yeah and make sure your tires are good in snow, nothing more embarrassing then having a big a$$ truck, lifted with 35's or whatever, that can't get up a driveway ramp backwards. Ask me how I know. :crazy:

8. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Before you regear or do anything price out what it will cost compare to buying a set of 1 tons with 4:56's and a Detroit in the back already. I would skip the cut out flares if you plan to wheel it because they have a tendency to break when they hit things. You will eat up $3500 pretty quick doing axles, lift, and wheels and tires.

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

In snow I don't think my Detroit has ever unlocked in a corner, it takes a certain amount of traction to force the Detroit to unlock and let the other axle overspeed the carrier. I found it was same 'rules' as always in snow...no abrupt inputs from throttle, steering or brakes and all was good.

Rene

10. freeflow

freeflow 1/2 ton status

This is my dd/play rig nothing extreme at all mostly mud and easy trails.

11. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

A Posi is another more streetable option. But personally I wouldn't be turned off a Detroit.

Sounds to me like you could get away without a D60 pretty easily, which saves you a bundle for the motor and tranny like you mentioned. Throwing a D60 under your rig (complete) would eat a lot of your budget up.

It sounds like you use your truck a lot like I do mine, and I have 37's and 4" lift, and really in the long run I should have stayed with 35's. Less trimming, less need to regear (given the 3.73 and later 4.10's that I already had). If you are really into hacking the truck up 37's are fine, or if you are doing mostly mud running with stiff springs. But on the trail or with flexy springs a 4" lift really isn't enough. For me the biggest issue with trimming is that I really want to keep the inners. If it wasn't for that major trimming would be fine. If it's a daily driver, major trimming probably isn't in the cards, as it wasn't for me. Especially if you live in the salt belt!

As a point of reference, I was running a 350tbi and 700 with 3.73's and I could feel a difference with the 37's but it was still pretty peppy. I am now running an older carb'd 350, 350, 4.10's, and 37's and it is a slug. I haven't done the calculations to figure out the gearing, so it might be the tired motor, or it definitely isn't a good combo!

Definitely go with the piece of mind that a 14bff offers, thats a definite!

I think the shackle flip is the way to go, a little pricier maybe, and more work, but better results in the end. I need to go that route next.

12. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

a detroit in a 14 bolt is the most budget friendly. it drops right in your existing open carrier. if you can change an oil filter, you can install one. ARB's are awesome but very expensive. They also require the knowledge to set up gears. I went with a detroit due to cost. I ran it on the street in all weather conditions. sensible driving is the key. a rookie behind the wheel probably would spin the truck out, I drive it everyday and know not to hammer it coming out of turns.