Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Monhans Sand Dunes

Discussion in 'Plains Region' started by Derf00, May 31, 2002.

1. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Has anyone run the dunes in Monahans? What's is like? We would like to make a run somewhere and run in the sand. We live in Abilene, so it is a trip in any direction.

Any info would be appreciated.

2. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

I have never ran the dunes out there but have drove by there many times and it looks like a lot of fun.
    Justin

3. wahbob

wahbob Registered Member

I am origanally from Monahans. Never drove on the dunes, but i have sand boarded. Pretty fun. We used to go to the Crane sandhills with dune buggies and Odesseys a long time ago though.

4. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

As far as I know ( I lived in Odessa for 35 years) Monahans is a state park and you can't drive off the roads there. However, just south of there is what we called the Imperial sand dunes that are wide open. Looks like hiway 1053 south off of I20 about 10-12 miles or so.There is a hiway(very small hiways) intersection where everyone usually pulls off the road and unloads, airs down, etc.

5. K5kaos

K5kaos Newbie

I live in Monahans and it's true that the Monahans Sandhills is really a state park,so they don't allow any traffic on the dunes. But if you want to play in the sand you should try the Kermit sandhills they even have a few picnic tables, it's free and open to the public.

6. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

The Kermit Sand Dunes Rock!!! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif I go out there all the time and it's lots of fun cause it's different every time. Check out www.dunerippers.com for a little more info or check out my site for a few pics. http://obsessedwithoffroading.4wdriver.com If you would like to meet up or want more info send me a PM or email to zachs_scout@yahoo.com.

[image]http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/53cec011/bc/Yahoo!+Photo+Album/Kermit+Sandhills+2.jpg?bcQ.mZ9AokNevpRg[/image]

7. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

After we make sure everything is working properly with our new engine transplant, 383 Stroker w/MPFI, we would be interested in making a run to Kermit.

Nothing is close to Abilene, so it is about a 3 hr trip, but would be worth it to meet up with a few new friends and run a little sand.