Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Monster Jam

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Jan 27, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Who has been to one of these events? I haven't been to a monster truck show since I was little. Sounds like myself and some guys are headed to Pittsburgh next month to go to a show. Is it worth going to the Pit Party beforehand. I'd pay a good deal just to get up close and personal with all the fabrication and work on a monster truck :)

2. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

My g/f took me to the one at Nassau Coliseum in Long Island last year. I loved it! It is loud and smells of raceing fuel. Never went to a pit party, but it sounds like it is worthwhile. I say go for it!

3. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

They are having a show at the bryce Jordan center in state college the weekend of the 4 and 5. Its like 16 to get into the door. I worked at the one last year and the pit party is kinda cheesey. They rope everything off and dont let you any where near the trucks. I got hooked up with them through work last year and helped set things up and helped set up ramps for the motorcross guys. But we had alot of down time during the days prior to the event and i got to crawl all over the monster trucks and check them out. That part was pretty cool. I would say if its been a while since you have seen a show its worth checking out.

4. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

I just went to one last weekend and took my 4.5 year old Son, and we had a blast!!! It's probably our 4th or 5th one!!!

Here's my take on them:

:waytogo: My son didn't really start enjoying them until he was over 4. When he was like 3 he really liked the trucks and the pit party stuff, but the noise scared him. Now that he's ridden in my K5 and Camaro enough to get used to hte noise at home, it doesn't bother him that much. Definitely need hearing protection for the Young'ens at least and for you if you haven't already lost your hearing.

:waytogo: You can't carry your gun in to most of them, although even though they state this, I could have carried mine in to every single event and not gotten caught. I only mention this because this type of event is exactly the place that I expect to need protection the most. I have my child and am in a crowd of strangers for hours, and I don't like being without my .45 in that situation. For what it's worth.

:waytogo: I have only seen indoor events in small collosiums. I am certain that it's a whole different deal outside or in a large collosium, because the trucks barely have room to turn around where I've been. This really limits the races and the freestyle show, and I can't wait to see a show in a larger area. I am sure that if you have the opportunity to see a show in a larger area, it would be a much better show than a small collosium.

:waytogo: About the pit party... I've been to several of them because my Son loves the trucks (Of Course *I* Love Them Too!!!) and wants to meet the drivers and stuff, so for us it's always worth going to the pit party. Sometimes they have the trucks roped off and you can't go near them and sometimes they are just sitting there and you can walk right up and inspect them thoroughly and take a zillion pictures if you want. It just depends on the host of the show I guess. I've seen it both ways. I'd say definitely go at least once, so if this is your first time make the effort to go.

:waytogo: Grave Digger ROCKS!!! I hate to be on the band wagon with all the other Goobers out there, but that dude that drives that thing must be from my hometown, possibly an illegitimate child of my own family somehow, because he drives like the Ol' Boys from back home!!! Just get in, put the pedal down, and go wherever you can but never lift!!! That guy has my undying respect! He completely hands-down kills all in the freestyle events. He's worth the admission price alone!

:waytogo: Overall, it's truly a fun gearhead thing to do and worth the trip even if you have to go an hour or more to get to it. I am lucky enough to live within a half hour of a Colosium now but I used to drive about an hour and a half to take my Son. It's good clean fun and a great Father-Son outing...

Paul

5. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Yes DEFIENTLY go!!!! The trucks have tape around them, but you can get right in there, check em out, take pics, its AWESOME!!!

6. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i'm going to the one at angels stadium saturday! i cant bring a camera though, the g/f wont let me

7. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

My son is going Sat night in Phoenix, I guess tickets are only $8.00, he's cant wait.

8. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I'm takin' the whole fan-damn-ly at the end of Feb here in OKC. My son is a truck/car/bike nut (8 yrs old), and the wife and daughter think it's pretty neat too.

John

9. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

I've taken my son every year for the past 3 years .... he's 4 now. He loves it! Make sure you get hearing protection for the little ones!!! The trucks burn alcohol so everybody doesn't die inside the stadium.

They usually have tough truck competions and a demolition derby so you get a little bit of variety.

They sure aren't as much fun as the tractor pulls 20-30 years ago but they are a blast.

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

we have awesome tractor pulls at the Buck out in Lancaster but its too far from here. Best night is Diesel night. See a bunch of old V12 Detroit Diesels revving like Lambos and sounding the same :laugh:

11. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I can't wait to take my son, I'm dying to see the look on his face.

When I worked actively in radio, I moonlighted in promotions...

I got to (volunteered to) drive a radio station van once through a monster truck show for some stupid event the station was doing. I had to sit backstage (I guess it was the pit) with them until it was my turn to drive out...
    It was pretty nuts, they apparently don't set any brakes when they come back in there... A couple un-manned trucks started rolling toward me while we were parked a few times. I opted to stay inside the van for most of that time, it was total chaos. Not much in there that isn't public already, but still fun to be there.

Hey Ruthven13, Nassau Coliseum is where I was for that event...

12. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

ive been to a few. pretty cool. trucks are so loud you feel likey your ears are gonna bleed. but that also depends on where its at. here its in a staduim so it echoes pretty bad. wish i would have brought plugs w/ me.

ill second the gravedigger comment. there is a reason why everyone loves him. all the other drivers are wussies compared to him. he literally drives it like he stole it.

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

eh cause half the time Gravedigger has 3 more trucks backstage where as the other teams are sometimes just a bunch of guys who that is their only truck.