Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Monster tach...worth it?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dysphemism, May 17, 2003.

1. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

I am contemplating getting a new tachometer. The light on my in-dash one is dead, great excuse to get a new one /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Any of you guys have one of those fat ones with the shift points on em? I need one that is backlit so I can see it at night. Pics would be great, also maybe how much it cost you. My truck is a 72, if that helps.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Replace the bulb in your current one. I personally think those monster tachs with shift lights are definitly to the right side of the straight-o-meter. I think they are hideous and a waste, but to each there own I guess.

Here is a picture of my tach. It is an Autometer 2 5/8" that is backlite and setup for MSD ignition. Cost me $90 or so.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/63408894/63408934tbTuDn

Harley

3. fulltopblazer

fulltopblazer 1/2 ton status

I have a monster tach mounted on my dash. just right of center and I HATE it. It really getts in the way. Its hard to see around it and I really don't need it. Its coming off soon. sorry no pics.

4. dysphemism

Ya I definitely need as much visibility as possible. Guess I'll just get a new bulb for it.

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Replace the bulb in your current one. I personally think those monster tachs with shift lights are definitly to the right side of the straight-o-meter. I think they are hideous and a waste, but to each there own I guess.

Here is a picture of my tach. It is an Autometer 2 5/8" that is backlite and setup for MSD ignition. Cost me $90 or so.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/63408894/63408934tbTuDn

Harley

[/ QUOTE ]

Harley, I have that EXACT SAME tach, brand new, laying inside my desk as I just cannot find a place to mount it in the K30. I don't want to drill holes and find out I don't like the location, so I'm stuck with a spare tach in the desk. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

thatk30guy- in my pickup my tach is up on the dash, all the way to the left screwed into the support piller right next to the wing window. I love it there it dosnt block any line of vision and all it takes is a quik glance to see what your spinin. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

a tach is a tach id just replace the bulb and use the money for another mod /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I had Autometers 3.75" on the steering column of my old K 10 and I liked it there....

The ultimate goal is to have a monster speedo and tach in the factory holes with 2 5/8" in the remaining holes.

Just my .02 cents. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Lonnie

Lonnie 1/2 ton status

Unless you have a highly modified engine, most performance tachs are just decoration. I constantly get amused at the Neons with a $200 tach on the dash. If your stock unit works, replace the bulb & for safety, buy a shift light which can be programmed to come on at any rpm you desire for over rev protection. Small ones are approx 1/2" in dia & can fit almost anywhere. This way you can watch the road & the light will get your attention when you need to shift.

10. dysphemism

My motor has some decent stuff in it, makes about 500 hp. When it gets around 5000 rpm it sounds downright violent. I'd like to get a shift light at least so I don't punch it too hard in the mud. It goes from 1000-5500 rpm with a blip of the throttle. Do they sell shift lights seperate from tachs?

11. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

yes they do /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I have a '72 as well and mounted the 5" tach. and spedo in the holes where the old spedo. and fuel gauge were. Awesome!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I have a 5in tach to the right of the dip in the dash. It doesnt block view at all. It covers the area that the hood covers anyhow so there is NO loss of visiblity. I have the shift lite also on mine. Reason is, when I am taching it out in the mud I dont even have to look over to know to shift or back out. I can safely go 7 grand and have come REAL close to 8 before. I have my light set at 6. Its so bright it WILL grab your attention even in the day time. Ill get a link to a pic for you.

And IMO a tach is NOT a tach. Factory tachs on average are not accurate, esp. a 30 yr old one. If your not pulling high RPM then OK. If your twisting it tight, pay up for a decent tach that will be accurate. $100-150 for a tach is cheap when you add up what a rod thru the pan will cost. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

14. Pure Insanity

How it looks to me from the drivers seat. Its not exact, but close to how it looks to me. Anything beyond center of the hood is off the side of the road or trail so it dont matter, youve already hit it.

Close up of the tach

15. dysphemism

that looks pretty slick. What brand is that?

16. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I dotn like the idea of guages on the dash, they just get in the way. I also mounted mine in the stock holes, they look really sick and fit perfectly!

17. Pure Insanity

Its a ProForm. I am not sure if they are still selling them but I love it. FL84K5 has an Autogage w/ the light also but he took it off when he was thinking of selling his and hasnt put it back on. The ProForm I have was like $109 IIRC and has the light and high RPM recall. Check w/ Jegs, thats where I got mine and I think FL84 got his there also.

I wouldnt run w/out it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. Pure Insanity

BTW future plans call for all gauges (speedo too) to be replaced by the big AutoMeters in the dash (except the tach which will stay there) and a row of ProLites dead in front of me on top of the dash to tell me if somethings wrong w/out having to look down.

19. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

Yup mines an AutoGage. I had it mounted in the same spot as PI's. I can't figure a good way to mount it solidly to the dash pad, so it's residing on my closet shelf right now. It will be going back in soon. It dosn't block the view at all.

20. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    thatk30guy- in my pickup my tach is up on the dash, all the way to the left screwed into the support piller right next to the wing window. I love it there it dosnt block any line of vision and all it takes is a quik glance to see what your spinin. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried mocking mine up on the post there, but with a Silverado trim in the truck, I didn't want to drill holes into the plastic trim.

I'm the kind of guy who likes his trucks looking as much as stock as possible. Kind of those guys you see who restore auto's and don't butcher anything. I like my trucks looking like they did when they left the factory....only with a lift and larger tires. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif