Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Monthly maintenance costs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rampage, Jun 12, 2001.

1. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Just curious as to what you pay to maintain your K5 on average per month. This includes the cost of new/rebuilt tranny/engine, body work, etc spread out over the years but not including all the neat little toys. I would like to start putting money away each month but would like to save up for those major repairs also.

2. ChrisM72beast

ChrisM72beast 1/2 ton status

I've had my truck for 4 years and spent over 12 grand. Keep in mind everything that was done (major work), was done by a mechanic and not myself. Although the truck had a good frame and body, it has quite a few issues.
    Now that she is mechanically sound, most of my cash is going for adjustments, upgrades or interior and cool stuff. All trucks will be different depending on how much they are abused. Mine is used more for ski and p.w.c. trips which means non-abusive 4-wheeling.

3. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

4. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Mine's been pretty cheap lately, an oil change every month or so...stuff like that, but no problems...lately

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

5. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

I worked out some rough figures and I came out to about 236 bucks a month...not too bad a car payment!

6. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

Mines been practically free for the last two years. But then again it's also been practically useless. But soon...soon...(maniacle cackling)...

That's because I'm the devil.

7. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Lets see....I bought the truck in march for 1200. Then I put prolly 900 in a new carb and plugs, plug wires, headers (it needed those) and little things that you usually do right after you buy a truck. Then I changed the oil, and diff fluid, and replaced the hubs...prolly about 100 bucks there.....then, ever since april, I've just been giving it gas really. Maybe spending 40 or 50 bucks a month on little goodies just to get her tip top. I lifted her for 400 all together. She needs new shoes and I'm planning on at least 500 for that. Did that help?

<font color=purple>Have you hugged your K5 today?</font color=purple>

8. Tuskadero

Tuskadero Registered Member

I've had my Blazer for a little over 2 years now and i've put probably 4 grand into it. Thats the reason why i'm selling it, I havent done any major mods either. And for the guy who said he averaged about 230.00 a month he spends on his Blazer he might as well buy something newer. I mean common, I dont think that kind of money a month is worth it, do you? Lately my Blazer feels like its falling more and more apart I'm over it. Even when I'm driving theres air leaks everywhere, too load it drives me nuts. Time for a newer truck, and to all of the rest of you good luck on your rust buckets i've givin up,

Heather

9. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

Are you kidding me, blazerbabe!? That is the whole fun of it. What the hell would I do if my blazer ran great all the time? My blazer keeps me out of trouble ! I have had my blazer about 3 years and the main costs are over with. And I have learned so damn much the past 6 months that I can actually work on my truck without being scared I am going to screw anything up. Why would I want anything newer and inferior. I also don't want to spend an arm and a leg on insurance too... I can't belive you quit...and still reside on this site...shame on you...Just buy another one already built....hehe

10. muddin4fun

My blazer isn't a rust bucket [​IMG]. She's got a few spots, but far from being a rust bucket.

11. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Are you kidding me, 230. a month is nothing, I went looking for a new SUV for the wife, anything even worth a crap runs over 500. a month. I don't know what you have been looking at, maybe a 4 popper Geo tracker, but I would hate to see what you could get out there for 230. a month. Now that I have 1-ton axles and a TH400/203/205 waiting to go in, I dont think theres much that could go wrong with my Blazer and if it did I could do it myself. I understand that some people are just not old truck people, just make sure if your buying used that you don't fall into the same trap agin, or spend 500. a month and get something nice.

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

12. muddin4fun

Just for price comparison. You prolly will have to spend 15K easy for a newer Tahoe or something. Nick just bought a bike. Brand new! We payed 6K for it and our payments (not including insurance) is about 130 or 140 a month.

Maybe your blazer needs a hug? [​IMG]

13. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Steve, the $500 a month is just the damn car payment...don't forget the actual maintenance costs! So what do you have after spending 600-700 per month BlazerBabe? A plastic SUV that'll break going over a curb. I can spend less than half of that and go where I please in something that still draws way more attention than a cookie cutter shitpile!

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

14. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

You need to remember something. Yes you can buy new but the vehicle depriciates so fast that if you drove it 2 years you wll have lost as much as 50% of the original price on most vehicles. So anything nice is in the 30k range your talking a $10-15k loss.
    You also have an older vehicle and stuff does wear out. The evils of previous owners not keeping up general manintance adds up. You hit that point.
    I put $3k in my truck in one year when I got it including tires. I went though everything but the case. Granted that was in Parts without labor. However, except that my transfer case needs a chain ($90) now, the only thing I have done is change oil and lube it the last 2 years. NO problems. I did give it a tune up a month ago for a cost of about $50.
    My wifes 79 is the same way. It does need a tune up and it does need the rear driveshaft rebuilt (only about 300k on it) . We have owned that one 4 years. I did rebuild a transmission right after I got it and I did replace the engine but once that stuff was done It has only needed a couple repairs. I replaced a bad part time kit in the case $100, Replaced a defective electric choke control for $35. Tune up $50. Rebuilt front axle with new seals and the works. $500.
    I wouldn't think twice about driving that truck cross country.
    Sorry your truck is at the point that a lot of problems have popped up but if the work is done correctly most repairs your probably doing are going to last 10 years or more as long as you keep up the maintance.
    No way you can convince most of us it's more economical to buy a new vehicle and take that loss to save on over due maintance items.
    I Have 1 outstanding debt and it will be paid off in 30years. Last thing I want is a car payment approching my house payment.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    Grim-Reaper

15. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I've got total including the cost of buying the Blazer about $13,000 into it.... It has a rebuilt engine, rebuilt tranny, lots of newer parts like the starter, radiator, drive shafts, exhaust (paid for not installed yet). Stereo was a big chunk of change I invested in it. Also has lots of other things done to it... I plan on dropping another $5,000 total on it (axles, winch, rollcage and so on). No new truck can bet that for what I will have when I am done! My friend bragged about his new Ford truck he paid $40,000 for and when I asked him to tie us up and pull he was a chicken! I'm telling you a new truck minght be nice looking for pounding the pavement but that's about it! And by the way I have no rust! [​IMG] But I actually pay with gas, insurance and keeping it running about $400-$500 a month. As compared to $800-$900 with a newer truck he has... and that's if he is easy on the gas... I can have a lead foot and still get by for way less then him! I'll take my older ride any day over a newer one! [​IMG]

"Suck Fumes Ford Boy"
    "I love my country, I fear my government"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</A>

16. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have more money that GOD in my rig. Frame off resto, all new sheet metal except cab (yes it is a pickup not K5, but lots-o-similarities). Now I can do anything with it and not worry. Next year I'm doing a X-country trip with it down to North Carolina to visit cousins then to California to visit my sister and nieces without thinking am I going to pass the warranty mileage (like I have on my new car). For the years I've owned it and what I put into it. I am less than 600 a month. If I were to buy a new rig (for what I would buy), I would be looking in the 35,000 - 40,000 range. Plus I would never be satisfied with a stock rig, so there would be lift tires, and all the extras. I would have a 50,000 dollar rig. Nevermind the friggin insurance on a new vehicle and excise tax. So I would say I have a better rig than new will all the niceties of a new rig. I put in aftermarket power windows, keyless entry, Dakota digital dash, hi-po stereo (better than any stock radio no matter how nice), putting in Vintage-Air AC and looking at Holley's pro-jection EFI. The best part is I can use it, abuse it, and not have to worry about warranties or weak factory parts because there are none. Granted it helps when you can do 97% of the work yourself.

If you didn't built it yourself, how can you call it yours.......?

17. jsck5

jsck5 Registered Member

i bought my truck new from the dealer back in 86 and i have a record of everything that has been done to it, and i do mean every thing! the truck was about $16,000 and the cost of maintenance has been about $17,000 to this day.

18. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

I bought my truck in October for 700.00 from the original owner, with a bad Tranny. Since then I have replaced the steering column: $200.00; tranny: $635.00; Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, belts, hoses: $175.00; 98 Center console: $150.00; billet grill: $100.00; Replaced the manual gate with power gate: $325.00; Radiator: $89.00; Newer doors: $75.00; Carburator: $200.00; Fuel Pump $60.00; Newer top with tinted sliders: $100.00.
    On the list to still be done: Today it goes in the shop for new exhaust system: $400.00; New tires and rims: $1300.00; Cheap Paint Job: $600-$1000.00; All new interior: $1000.00; Lift Kit $500.00 and the list goes on..............

19. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

I've had my truck since February and bought it for $4500. I added up all the stuff I have bought for it, and that has totalled out over $5500. That's just since Feb. Not to mention the $45 a week in gas too!

"Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning." Odd Ball--Kelly's Hereos

20. ChrisM72beast

ChrisM72beast 1/2 ton status

The other great thing about our trucks is what new "truck" are you going to find where you can take off either the whole top or most of it and enjoy the sun. That alone is worth the price of admission. You can get one of those cr@ppy small S.U.Vs. but those things are useless. A j##p! Yeah right! How about a Range Rover? Just shoot me now. Or you can go coventional and get a F*rd 'Exploder'. Great handling on those right?
    My point is sometimes you have to spend a bit of money to enjoy youself. There was a point where I wanted to sell "DaBeast". She was kicking my a$$. I finally said do I want $550.00 payments a month with insurance to match? Do I want a purely generic S.U.V. ? Do I want my auto to be d'void of any fun? No. No. No. I'll bite the bullet now and hope it pays off. Well it has paid off. She runs like a champ, people are always waving or smiling at me and people always want to know if it's for sale. I do understand that not everyone is in the same boat financially but it's actually less money on this than on a new "truck".The only difference is you you got do it all at once or at least in bigger chunks more frequently. But once it's done or close as in my case it is so worth it.
    I'm so glad I made that choice because I'd hate to be one of those people who see a cool car they used to own and say "damn, I wish I wouldn't have sold it".
    Remember the old Fram commercials. "You can pay me now or pay me later". With the new trucks you'll pay later and a lot more.

How you keep your truck but whatever you do,
    Good Luck.
    Chris