Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MOO Parts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigbluesuburban, Mar 8, 2006.

1. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

I understand that MOO went out of business...

Does anyone know the circumstances, and does anyone know the whereabouts of the former owner?

Secondly, I see that a seemingly large number of people are still looking for these MOO parts, is this true?

Is there still a demand for the products that he was producing or has someone picked up the slack and started making those parts under a different name?

Thanks

2. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

3. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

ummm, he siad he under stood MOO was out of bis.

as far as picking up the slack
    DIY4X.com makes alot of stuff like that, and as well or better than MOO
    ORD might have picked up some of thier ideas as well.

4. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

I have talked to quite a few poeple, privately that have been.......well less then satisfied with there MOO stuff, me included. I was drawn to, and ordered parts (hundreds of dollers) from MOO cause of there inovative products. I was dissapointed with the customer service and the poor quality of the products when they finally would show up on my door step.......................months later. other vendors are making better products for sure, and with the right tool you could do just aswell yourself. I think alot of fellow members feel the same way I do.

Im sure alot of people have got great products too from them (I hope) if so great. there seems to be this "thing" about "dont bash or bad mouth a vendor". well Im a paying customer and I dont feel Im bad mouthing anyone, just speaking the truth about my experience. if anyone feels Im bashing or bad mouthing...................so be it, I stand behind what I say. I dont miss them at all.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

MOO ??

you mean MOOG ?

im confused ?

never heard of MOO ??

thanks

6. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Missouri Offroad Outfitters. Was in business, Steve Frisbee (85M1009 I think was his username here:dunno: ) was the proprietor. Don't know why he went out of business, it seemed like it was just taking off.

Joh

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

well thats sure interesting

i had never heard of them
    lol

how long were they around for ?

were they a different company- but bought out or something ?

thanks

8. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I have the MOO crossmember and he fabbed up some rear bolt on shock mounts for me. The quality on mine was excellent. The welds on the crossmember look almost like they were done with a welding robot. What parts did you get that didn't cut it?

9. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

As abruptly as he went out of business (and with the notable lack of any specific reasons why) I am willing to bet one of the following TWO things happened:

1. Got sued by a much larger company for selling something too similar looking to an existing "patented" design. It's doubtful anyone could afford the litagation expenses. Went out of business to "settle" with the other party.

2. Got sued for a part that broke and/or caused bodily injury to someone. Fighting a personal injury lawsuit would be equally expensive. If the company was legally registered as an LLC or whatever, he might have had to liquidate all assets to pay a settlement.

Pure speculation on my part, but usually when someone decides to close up shop, there is some explanation about "why". In this case, maybe the reason there are no answers is because it was part of a legal stipulation and Frisbee CAN'T comment on it.???? :thinking:

10. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I don't think that was it at all.

Steve was and still is a Hwy patrol man.
    I am guessing that trying to get MOO to the point of making him the $$ he needed to live on got to hard to do and the Real job got more demanding and he had to let MOO go or the Job that really put food on the table. He chose MOO as the one that went.

Or he had something family related like illness that made the decision for him.

I really don't think it was product or lack of desire that made him step out.

11. rdn2blazer

this might be kinda long, I will try to make it short as possible. I have the crossmember, the 14ff truss, and the 14ff diff cover. to start my crossmember had what I would consider puny or less then adequate welds for the application that were not very uniform and did not appear to have good penetration based on the raised doming of the weld. there were a few too many start and stop points to me along a rather long span. I dont claim to be the greatest welder in the world but I have 15 years of self taught experience and I did spend very recently over a year in welding school and have 3 certifications in welding myself.

the crossmember, the fit was crap, NONE of the holes lined up worth a damn. I had to slot just about every hole to get the bolts to go in, and mind you the holes were quite a bit larger then the bolts diameter to begine with. when I fab something using 3/8 bolts I drill a 13/32 (.406) hole. I think theres were allready at 7/16(.4375). I finally got it in though with quite a few C clamps in place to close up all the gaps. took me quite a few hours of fighting to get it installed. I drilled and added some extra bolts, which I felt were for good measure.

the diff cover looks and seems fine. I have not checked its fit to see if all the holes line up on the housing yet. I bought a Crane diff cover instead anyways. I will run that cover on another truck.

on to the real trouble. the truss did not fit at all. I tried everything I could to get it to fit. when I called Steve Frisbie which took almost two weeks to reach him on the problem all he said was "I have made hundreds of them and havn't had a single one returned. the diff cover ring part might have got bent in shipping, put a big C clamp on it, it will fit." well I tried that too, it didn't.

what I found to be the problem was the hole locations for the pinion mount side were way off. I band sawed off the welded on bracket and tried to just bolt the bracket to the housing, only the two outer bolts would thread in to the housing. the middle one would not cause the hole was so far off. again, quite a big hole over the bolt diameter allready.

so now with the welded bracket completely off the truss I put the truss on the axle to see how it fit. 10 of the 14 diff bolts threaded in while 4 would not cause the location of the holes were off. the holes are again 7/16 holes over a 3/8 bolt. I had to open ALL the holes up to 29/64 (.453) to allow the truss to move around enough so all the diff bolts would thread in. ofcourse I had to fab up a new pinion mount bracket and weld it on. now it fits fine.

it took almost 4 months to get my truss from when I ordered it. after several weeks of waiting I called, and called, and called some more. I finally got a return call saying he had broke his bender and was waiting for a new part. ok fine, but why not answer the phone or atleast return a call. from then it took many, many calls and still over 2 and 1/2 months to get what I had ordered. then to have nothing fit right and have to rework just about everything like I did, what a joke.

I did not forget what he told me though. when ever someone has a problem and needs my help I joking say "just put a big C clamp on it, it will work".

I realized just how poor the design of the crossmember and the truss was once it got to my door step and I had a chance to look it over. but that is another story I dont care to go into. sufice to say I WILL make myown from now on. you would have thought he would have gave me a bit of a discount for waiting so long, or atleast a damn sticker................nope, nothin.

so that is my story, exactly as it happened.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2006
  12. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

To Clarify - Miniwally pretty much sums it up. No legal issues at all. Steve is much better off in my opinion. Dispite how bad it made him feel to close the doors, I am glad he can get back to a normal life. Those of you that do not know him as a friend have a clue how hard he worked at both jobs all while maintaining a family.

The one thing I hate - Steve for now is completely out of the offroad scene. Mutual friend Layne and I will try to get him to go wheeling with us and hopefully keep the bug alive.

13. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

That's the saddest part right there.:(

14. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

hum well thats some crazy stuff

hmmm

15. camok5

camok5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Not to be another MOO basher but I had bought alot of stuff from them (shock inboarding kit, truss, anti-wrap bar and diff cover) and none of them fit right without being tweeked or cut and rewelded. I even had to send my anti wrap bar back to them because it broke and bent the top bar. When I sent it back to them they just bent the bar back and welded all the joints solid. The place where it bolts to the truss was more than a inch off and I still have to have spacers in between them until I can weld it up right. I feel that Steve was a nice guy and he did try and make me happy with his products but I think the lack of quality work was due to him not committing to MOO as a full time business.
    [​IMG]

16. rdn2blazer

Again, im not bashing, neither are you. you and I are just stating the facts as they happened.

17. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I wonder if he started subbing out some of the welding and other work. One of the things I have found with my three Blazers I worked on is that almost every part I have bought has needed some slight tweaking. Mind you we aren't talking major work, but with these older rigs, I think they shift and bend all over the place over the years. My crossmember lined up perfectly though and the welds are excellent. Maybe I got his early work before it became too much for him to do.

18. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I really don't get why the average person would even need a truss for a 14 bolt axle :confused:

19. rdn2blazer

your right, the average person doing the average wheelin does not need a truss, but I feel for a hard core rig that will see alot of huge rocks, it cant hurt. that is what im building my truck for is hard core trail and rock use.

20. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I got front and rear bumpers with some customization done, a diff cover and truss for the 12 bolt. All were delivered on time, fit perfectly and were very well made. Bought my stuff early on in MOO's life, Steve was always available and very helpful. Never had a problem with anything. My guess is that if there were problems with parts and service it happened later in the business's life - happens a lot when fast expansion occurs without proper infrastructure (enough good staff, staff training, QA, etc. ) to support the expansion.