Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Moog parts-grease boots and fittings

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90K5, Dec 19, 2000.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I got my Moog steering stuff today[​IMG] and it doesn't say how to put the grease boots on. Do you just slide them on or do they need to be anchored somehow on the bottom so the grease stays in them? Also the grease nipples have threads on the bottom, but on teh tie rod ends where they screw in, there are no threads. Also what kind of grease do I need to use? BTW, i went to 4WPW today[​IMG] to get a raised steering arm and I told the guy what kind of truck i have and he went in the bakc and brought out an arm in a really bashed up box. i asked him what height lift it was for and he said 4". I told him I have a 3", and that would be too much correction and he then told me I didn't need one. Then he said that the truck that the one he brought out had a 4" lift and it was too much correction. So then I asked him why he was about to sell me a used part, and he asked me to leave. Ha Ha

90K5

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

He asked you to leave??? Man, what an arse!

I used synthetic marine grease in my tie rod end and steering components.

As far as the boots go, i belive they all just slide on.....
    My tie rods didn't have threads either, but I just "forced" them in by racheting them in like normal with a little pressure..

HTH

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

3. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Alot of the newer fittings have self tapping threads. I guess its' cheaper for them to produce them this way. Theyare a little squirlly getting started sometimes, but they seems to be just as good as the pre-threaded holed ones. And the boots just slide down on the stud in no particular fashion. Just keep them full of grease.

I miss my Ex, but my aim is getting better!
    http://mccordhouse.freeservers.com

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Yep, slide the boots in place. They'll move themselves to the right position as you put everything together.

A nut driver works good for installing the zerks. Holds it straight as it cuts the threads into the joint.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com