Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Moose adventure prompts me to look into grill guards!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ArrowheadK5, Nov 21, 2001.

1. ArrowheadK5

ArrowheadK5 1/2 ton status

I had a run in with a moose this weekend, long story, but to make it short I watched helplessly as my grandpa hit it with his 2000 Buick @ 25 mph. Fortunately it rolled up onto the roof and not thru the windsield, so my Grandpa is OK. The car is driveable, but pretty bad. The moose, I'm afraid had two broken legs and had to be dipatched with the Ruger .44 (it was last day of deer season). After a 4-hour wait the DNR gave us the moose.
    Any way, it made me think about what if I had been going 40 mph and hit that thing? My truck is high enough, it would have left me stranded by destroying my radiator etc.
    Anybody know of a good grille guard that looks OK and is't real pricey?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
    --Thomas Jefferson

2. 2cocky

2cocky Registered Member

At 40 mph if you hit a moose it better be made of some serrious steel to hold up! I hit a honda in my old truck that didn't leave a scrach but had to replace the whole front end two months later when I hit a white tail buck. Don't want to think about what a larger an animal would do.
    Scott

OOOPS....I THINK I JUST RAN OVER YOUR JEEP THING!!!!!

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I'm glad to hear the animal didn't go to waste, and I'm not sure there is any real guard that would stop a moose, depending on your speed, so how much meat do you think you got outta the deal and will it be enough to compensate for grampa' car damage. I hope so....

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

4. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

A guy I work with said his old friend of his had a chevy truck with angle iron on the front for a bumper and he hit a deer at 40 and did no damage. Last time he went back home he saw it still driving around.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

5. ArrowheadK5

ArrowheadK5 1/2 ton status

it was luckily a small (about 500 lbs) moose. It was split 7 or 8 ways, but still made for a lot of meat.
    NEVER if you get the choice, volunteer to gut/skin/quarter a moose. It was smelly and heavy. [​IMG] Especially if you're half tanked [​IMG]! NOT me, other guys at deer camp...
    Insurance will cover the car, act of God thing, apparently.
    Two other guys I know put grille guards on thier trucks AFTER they hit a deer and had damage to repair, and the chance of hitting a deer is higher than a moose, so I guess that's more what it's for.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
    --Thomas Jefferson

6. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Not much you can do. Deer and moose are like hitting a car in motion. It's going to do damage.

My personal opinion, A grill guard will do more damage in a light impact, considering the grill guard will take-out both fenders, instead of just one.

We just had a guy buy a used sub. with a "show" grill gard, and he took-out a deer two weeks into his new ride. The impact looked minimal, but it creased every panel on the front clip and wiped out the 'core support to-boot. It didn't set off the 'bags (less than aprox 15 mph impact - as the sensors see it) but still did some major damage.

There's not much you can do to protect gainst a non-moveing object that weighs over 200 lbs.

<font color=blue>Twiz

7. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Thats why I siad make it out of angle iron and and metal at least 3/8" thick.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

The only way your going to get enough strength to keep the grill from getting pushed into the front and possibly bending the frame horns is to put some support bars through the core suport to the frame.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

9. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

500 lbs is small!?!?!?! [​IMG]

Heres a pic of a grille gaurd that will scare ya! I tried to find his website, but cant. Heres a pic from the member rides.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Southernmost-K5/aab>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Southernmost-K5/aab</a>

His site has more and better pics. Maybe Chris will turn up on this post.

If ya can't stop.......Smile as you go under! [​IMG]
    PIC of mine from flblazers site<a target="_blank" href=http://www.flblazer.alloffroad.com/photo3.html>
    GO</a>

10. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I thought grill guards were more just a 'show' item on your truck, kind of like the tail light covers, etc.?? I dunno, but mine's cool, has 3 big tubes in the center, and 3 smaller tubes over the lights, VERY hard to describe, but its in jc whitney- I don't plan on hitting anything with it, mines for 'show'. I like the way the truck looks much better with it. I've been looking at it for 5 months without, while swapping stuff, and it just doesnt look as 'beefy' IMO

--Brandy

IF ONLY THE 4 YEAR OLD COULD TURN A WRENCH
    1986 K5 4" skyjacker suspension 3 " body, 14 bolt rear 12 bolt dana 44 front, TIRED ol 305-

11. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I'm not knocking the "show" grills, not my taste, but some look O.K.. The point I was tring to make is that a impact is an impact, doesn't matter whats bolted on.

<font color=blue>Twiz

12. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

yup,what twiz said....unless you want to push like a yugo on a tow bar about 100 ft. in front of you ........

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

13. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

Glad to hear nobody was hurt. I was down your way a couple of weeks ago moose hunting along the Minnesota ontario border on the Canadian side. The logging trucks run the equivalant to a cow catcher used on the old trains. Big honkin' steel. One of the drivers we talked to claims to be able to take out a 1,000 lb plus moose and only got a flat. This type of armour would probably not be for our rigs though. Good of them to give you the road kill. I shot a bull this year. A small one, 750 lbs hanging weight, last years calf I figure.
    Good eating though.
    Shawnboy.

<font color=red>If you are having too much fun it's probably illegal.</font color=red>