Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Moral Booster, how long did it take to build YOUR K5?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Hathaway, May 12, 2001.

1. Hathaway

Hathaway 1/2 ton status

So how long did it take you guys to build up your K5's? I bought an '86 K5 in November and its got alot of work. new floors, tcase needs work, and the 305 could stand a rebuild/bore/stroke/replacement to 350. The axles are wimpy 10 bolts and it needs beefier bumpers. Rockers are rusted out too and the metal behind the tail lights is rusted. Paint is in good shape thankfully.

Feels like I'm NEVER going to get it into good shape. Especially not now that I've got college coming up to go along with paying off the blazer, paying for insurance, paying for gas, blah blah blah whine whine whine.

SO ANY WAY, how long has it taken you guys to build up your K5's? And please, you guys that it takes 6 months, just shut up [​IMG]

Dan, '86 K5, 5.0L v8, NP208, TH700R4, open 10bolts front and rear, 3.43gearing, K&N filter, 31x10.50R15 Trailhandlers

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

I am not going to be the only one that says this. It aint ever going to end!!!!!!!!!!!! There will always be another gotta have for these things. And heaven and high water if you get dusted by a Ford, or even worse a JEEP!!!!!!!!!! Man you aint ever going to stop.

[​IMG] Dont steal my truck..I dont need anymore worthless junk over my fireplace.

3. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

LMAO,

6 months? Full time job and a full (not for long) bank account.

Big Brown ... it's never ending! Just resign to the fact that you will be assimilated and all your money will go into your truck.

Good luck and have fun.

4. timebomb1602

timebomb1602 1/2 ton status

<font color=red>there is a time when you are finished?</font color=red>

<font color=red>1991 GMC Jimmy 350tbi 3.42</font color=red>[​IMG]

5. Hathaway

Hathaway 1/2 ton status

i never said how long did it take you to finish, I said how long to build [​IMG] in other words get em in a state where they aren't wimpy 10 bolts, 305 and a busted Tcase.

Dan, '86 K5, 5.0L v8, NP208, TH700R4, open 10bolts front and rear, 3.43gearing, K&N filter, 31x10.50R15 Trailhandlers

6. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I just got my 86 in Nov. Also. So for I have put a crate motor into it. New seats, New stereo,New tires. a 4 in lift, A ORD swarbar disconnect, New gears. And tomorrow a new bumper. I still need new exhaust, A winch and a new front bumper. My bank account is getting slim. And so is my wifes patience.......LOL

7. elkboy

elkboy 1/2 ton status

I've been working on mine for a year. Next week it going to actually drive down the road for the first time. Maybe it'll be trail ready in another month or two, then I can start on all the little stuff :-). If you do it in stages it doesn't seem as bad, But I't will be worth it in the end.

[​IMG]<font color=red> Elkboy</font color=red> [​IMG] 82 K5 fuel injected H.O.305, TH350/205, 14bolt/10bolt and 39.5 TSL's.

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Well Dan, I've had tRusty for 4 1/2 years now and I finally had it to the point where I could honestly say the worst was behind me. I was maybe a week or two from paint and then I got smoked by a drunk in Portland. So now I'm starting over again.
    tRusty v2.0 should only take me a couple of weeks though.
    I bought rocko's resto project 82 Blazer (Stampy) which I'm picking up next weekend. I'm painting it the following week and then swapping in my entire drivetrain, 350, SM465, NP 205, welded 14 bolt, Dana 44, new 2 1/2" dual exhaust with Flow-masters, and 36x12.5" TSL's the weekend after. I'll need to run it through inspection so it'll have stock bumpers for a few weeks, but I'm going to be building pre-runner style front and rears for it as well. I should be done for a while by summer...[​IMG]

So all told I guess almost 5 years...and there is still so much i want to do![​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jules.coloradok5.com>http://jules.coloradok5.com</A>

9. Hathaway

Hathaway 1/2 ton status

Well its nice to know it does take you guys awhile [​IMG] still sucks though. Only thing I've done to mine is a K&N filter, new alternator and a new starter.

The 305 could use a kick in the pants and I can't really afford a 350 so I'm thinking of having the 305 bored/stroked to 347. The 10 bolts, well they'll probably stay for many years to come. The Tcase and rust NEED to be fixed, but with school, work and no tools/garage its kinda hard to get stuff done.

One day I love the K5, the next minute I want to beat it will a ball pene and sell it for 10 bucks to just to be rid of it.

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I had an '88 that would've never ended, if I hadn't given up when my kids started losin' toys through the holes in the floors...
    I just found another '88 that my wife actually loves, and will let the kids in, so the fun's just startin' again... I don't see this one being done enough to let go until my son gets graduates high school and can inheret it (he's 10 months old right now).
    It really never ends...

Ratch
    I could swear there was a trail around here... Right around where those new condos are...

11. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Sorry, hit continue too many times!
    Ratch
    I could swear there was a trail around here... Right around where those new condos are...<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by newyorkin on 05/13/01 09:27 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

12. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

You mean there is an END, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, ya right!!!!

[​IMG]<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

13. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

You mean there is an END, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, ya right!!!!

[​IMG]<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

14. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

Dude, I've had My K-5 since 92 and I'm still not done.

Ric

[​IMG]

15. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

3 years and several thousand dollars and I'm still spending more time and money than I care to think about. I think the best thing that I've learned so far is "do it once, do it right." Like paying for new fenders and paint only to decide later to cut the new fenders where the old ones were bent. Or paying for carpet only to bedliner the interior.
    Good luck,
    Aaron

___ __ _ _ ____ __
    AGM73k5 -- ajgm1@yahoo.com

16. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

&lt;&lt;One day I love the K5, the next minute I want to beat it will a ball pene and sell it for 10 bucks to just to be rid of it.&gt;&gt;

I've had mine since new and for the last few years I've had the same thoughts ... but only now and then.

I can surely relate to no access to tools, working two jobs, no garage, etc. That has a big impact on the pocket ... especially when with the help of this board and persistance you can fix things yourself, yet, are forced to pay someone to do things at times.

Good luck ... that above statement is the beginning stages of addiction. We all suffer ... Powerlessness!

17. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Blazer's been parked for over 2 years now [​IMG][​IMG] & it's finally at the point where I'm starting the re-assembly process!! Should be back by late summer, but that's with one hell of a lot of work. Don't feel too bad; I often look at my empty Blazer tub sitting on crates & wonder "What the HELL did I do to my poor Blazer!!!"

Oh, well, it'l be worth it in the end - I hope!![​IMG][​IMG]

Brian
    89KBlazer

18. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Purchased mine in Oct 99, started the tear down right after thanksgiving same year. Put it back on the road in Oct 2000 after a complete frame off resto. Cut out and replaced a ton-o-sheetmetal. New paint, bedliner and carpets. New motor, rebuilt tranny and t-case (350/203), 4" lift, new tires(33 BFG MT)...etc. Since then new gears, new tranny and t-case (700/205), a second set of tires (33 BFG AT)...etc. Still to do, a lots. But that's why I bought it. Estimated completion date, TBD.

19. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

I'll have mine done by 2010. LMFAO!!!

Will work for beer, parts and tools.
    90-350TBI-TCI700-241-33"-10/12 bolt w/4.10's,
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</A>

20. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hmmm, well I started in 93 and I well I just keep comming up with more and more things to do!! I can't stop! I think I should be close to finninshing in about ohhh 20 yrs, mabie 15 if i'm lucky.,......

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com>http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com</A>