Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Moral delema

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Z3PR, Mar 29, 2003.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

A mid/late 70's 4WD pick up just fell in my lap. I can get it for $150.00 . Needs breaks, and a tune up. Well, a good friend is looking for a chevy 4x4 . But I was thinking of fixing this truck up and selling it for a proffit. Do I get it and make money off it, or do I turn my friend onto the deal ??? My friend knows I might get it, just doesn't know where it's at. What would you do ???

2. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

Hook a buddy up and help him build up the truck. It will come back around to you when you need it.

3. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

you buy it and sell it to him..... /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

4. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

How good of a friend ? If hes a good friend you see all the time and hang out with, you might want to offer him a look at the truck to see if its what he wants. If it is, give it to him and feel good about it.

If not, fix it up and make $$$

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm kinda thinking of buying it for the $150.00, and trading it to him for a set of new lift springs. I'll give him my old lift as part of the deal. I need 3" rear springs for the rear. (Already have the 4" ORD Shackle flip) I could buy myown front springs and include my old ones in the deal. I know he'll want to lift it. My current lift is 6" superlift front springs, 4" blocks with add-a-leafs. He'd still need to get the raised steering arm, shocks, U-bolts, extended break lines ...ect. Well, it's just a thought.

6. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Buy it for $150 and sell it to him for $300-500 as is, that way you both are happy. I sold my best friend two vehicles. I made about 100 bucks on selling him my GTO project, and the ranger offroad truck, I made $500 and he knows I made $500 on it(He was there when I bought it). I got a smoking deal on the ranger, and told I was going to resell it for a profit, but if he was interested I would sell to him 500 over what I paid for it.

Dan

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

can you get some pics?? and i would buy it and re sell it for at least another hundered more..to your friend if he wanted it to..

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'll try to get out there to get some pics in the next few days or so. The deal on it is the owner is moving a few states away and isn't sure if he wants to take it with him or sell it. Sounds like he'll sell couse it'll cost him way too much to take it with him. He's having a hard enough time saving up for the move as it is. He'll be towing one car behind a U-Haul as it is. So I'm sure he'll sell to me. He's one of those guys that dicks around. So as soon as he calls me again, I'll wave the cash infront of his face.

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

good deal!! got any info on the drive train?

10. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Does your friend know how much the guy is selling for? If so, buying it for the price he is selling it and then turning right around and asking your friend for more might not make your friend happy. I'd personally be pissed if my friend did that to me. I'd either give the friend the deal, or by it and fix it up, then sell it for more, only because it was worth more. But that is just me...

11. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

I personally hate selling vehicles to friends. If something goes wrong with it i dont want to ruin a friendship over a deal gone south.

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Not yet. Waiting for the call. All I know is it's a mid/late 70's Chevy 4WD long box pick up. Some surface rust, but not bad. More then likely it's a 350. It does have lock outs up front, but that's about all I can tell you at this point.

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

He doesn't know how cheap I'll get it for, but does know I won't pay alot. Thats why I'm thinking I'll sweeten the deal and include my old lift if he'll swap me some new springs. That way we'll both come out ahead.

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I personally hate selling vehicles to friends. If something goes wrong with it i dont want to ruin a friendship over a deal gone south.

[/ QUOTE ] He'll know up front what it'll need, as far as I know. Plus I'll probley be the one turning the wrenches on it.

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Okay, it's a 81 1/2 ton 4WD long box pick up with a 350 and automadic transmission. The guy doesn't know what T-case or gears it has. Needs breaks, and he said the transmission stop shifting right when the breaks went out. He said he put a new batt. in it. It's obvous from talking to him that he doesn't know much about vechiles. I do know he only paid $300.00 for it about a year ago, but never regiestered it. He says the 4WD works good, and all the electrical is good. So it'll need breaks, and possible a transmission. Sounds good to me.

16. glencanyonexplor

glencanyonexplor Registered Member

i never let money come between me and a friend,what goes around comes around.if it turns out to be a POS you don't have to feel bad about it.

17. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

hell id jump on that!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

My friend knows everything I know about it. I just got off the phone with him, the deal is: He'll give me what I pay for it, and buy my old lift for $250.00 So He'll give $150.00 that I paid for the truck, and $50.00 out of each pay check fot my 4" blocks, add-a-leafs, and pay for 1/2 the price of the new front springs so he can have my old lift for this 81 Pick up. This way we can all be happy and come out ahead. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

You did a good thing and still got your Morals /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[​IMG] Her's a pic of it.