Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Moral Delima ?'s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by backyardbuilt, Jan 1, 2003.

1. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

Moral Delima ?\'s

I sold a motor that was covered with a tarp and a plastic sand box that had sat that way since 9/11/01. The guy drove from Arizona to Kansas to pick it up. I told him as far as I knew the motor ran great when the vehichle was tore apart the motor was complete carb to pan with extra's such as all the wiring, starter, alt., pwer steering, air cleaner housing, new flex fan (in box), new motor mounts, and the computer and wiring. the price was $150 for it all. Well it turns out he is saying the motor got water in it and is trash, I have no proof of this from them and have not asked because I don't want hard feelings. I never intended to sell a bad motor nor if I knew this would I have. My question is what would be fair for both parties (since he is keeping everything because of the distance) so noone gets screwed. Thank you for taking the time to read this and giving any advice you may have. Ryan

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Re: Moral Delima ?\'s

He should have checked it out a little better before he bought it.... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

3. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

I would say even if the motor is wasted he still got a good deal becouse of all the extras(if the starter and alternator are good that right there is at least $100).

4. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

buyer beware /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

5. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

It might be harsh but things like that are sold as is. Its not like you knew it had water. Sitting that long, he should not have expected it to fire up and run anyway. Sounds he got his money worth.

6. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

even condensation would cause water to be in there eventually. You have to figure when you buy something like that there is a rebuild in order anyway. Bore it and clean it up. What's wrong?

7. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

lets put it this way.
    used alternator that works-$25, used intake-50, used carb-50, used heads in rebuildable condition-100, used conn rods-50, good reconditionable crank-75, good machaineable block-75, used dist that works-40. when i buy used motors, i look at it this way. if i can hear it run, its REBUILDABLE unless it has just been done and i can tell. if i cant here it run to me it is worth next to nothing, kinda like CORE price, but i cant tell if i can use any of the parts yet, so i will pay less than a core charge for it. period. dont feel bad, i wouldnt, and i would never complain to some one for getting a motor that didnt run. those are the gambles you take as a buyer trying to save money. i think you would be all set telling him that all sales were final, as is where is. good luck and dont let him bother you.

8. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

any motor that has sat for more than 3 months atleast needs to be looked at. After a few years and he thinks a $150 motor is going to fire right up? There is no moral dilema here. Only a lesson: check motors before you buy them.

9. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Seems like a good drive for a $150 motor - maybe the guy should have bought one locally?
    I think if I sold a motor, I would be honest about the conidition but add that you can't guarantee a rebuild isn't needed.
    I honestly think (and this is my opinion) that both buyer and seller are at fault. Buyer should have inspected it better, and seller should have made it clear he is being honest about the engine, but that he can't guarantee it. If buyer wants a warranty, he can buy a $1200 goodwrench motor. Otherwise, he's getting an honestly-described used motor.

What I would do: explain that you think it is unfortunante for both parties that the engine had water in it, but that you did not know that. Ask him what he thinks is reasonable. If he asks for too much, tell him you'd be happy to return his money if he returns the engine. If he asks for, say, $50 then send it to him and chalk it up to a lesson learned.

-- Mike

10. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> So long as you didn't promise that it would still run than I'd say that you're good. Ask what he thinks would be fair, but at $150 it was a steal since it was totally complete. </font color>

11. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

SOLD AS IS you told him how it was and what the scenerio was when you pulled it out, he got a heck of a deal so......sorry

12. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

Thats exactly what I was thinking. I told him everything I knew about it so if thats not good enough, oh well! Thanks for all your input. Ryan

13. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

As is!!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Still sounded like a good deal

14. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

If you disclosed all the things you knew about it to him. And he still bought it. Too bad its a 150 dolla motor. If it were me I would have been happy with the purchase, rebuilt the thing and still have been ahead of the game. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

The 350 I bought for 50 bucks sat for 1 year, and fired right up, after i switched the dist out, i installed 180 off...
    so yes some do sit for a year and fire right up... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

16. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

for 150.00 i would have driven from louisian and not cared if worked or not. that is a lot of aprts that cost way more than 150.00 rip it apart and clean it and drop it back in.

just my .02

nathan

17. chosen(1)

chosen(1) 1/2 ton status

I just have one thing to say. Caveat Emptor

18. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

RYAN- first, he should have checked it out, aka, dropped the pan,
    2- bearings are only 12.00
    3- the ecm and harness are a few 000.00 dollars, so tell him, sorry, you still got a deal /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif it isnt your fault he didnt even look at what he bought,
    4- my carb alone was 2X that price, so quit his whining /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

19. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

Like everyone else has indicated, $150 is a smoke...running or not. He can rebuild it...was he expecting a turn-key?

I sold an IFR 1200 service monitor on eBay a while ago. I cut the guy a break and modified the "buy it now" price because he worked for a non-profit organization (less than what I could have received had I let the auction run). After receiving it, he said it didn't work (I checked it out extensively prior to shipping). So, as a measure of good faith, I tried to help him troubleshoot it over the phone. Three things became obvious over the course of a few phone calls:
    1) the "non-profit" organization was really what he used to describe his hobby
    2) the box received damage enroute to N. Carolina from Phoenix
    3) It only cost $50 to fix (cracked solder joint, no doubt from shipping)

After he tried to strong-arm me into first giving his money back and then to pay the repair bill, my response was simple. I told him it had shipping damage...file a claim with UPS. Secondly, I sold it to him for about $400 less than I could have (remember non-profit?). I basically told him to have fun with his new monitor. His attitude abruptly changed and he told me thanks, pleasure doing business with you and take care. I'm thinking it worked all along and he wanted to scam some cash.

...case closed...

I second this: CAVEAT EMPTOR

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

20. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Anytime I sell an engine that hasn't been run or I can't prove runs, I will sell it for 150. thats core value at most places. I make no promises! I also don't give them alternaters, and such! the ONLY exceptions is if It is something special, like a 454, 400, or something of historical value. I wouldn't feel to bad.