Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

More 1/2 Ton Abuse

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cricket, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

This time it's pea gravel. The pic of the tire carrier is deceptive, there are only a couple inches between it and the pavement. I have a feeling one of these days I'll be driving along and the truck will split in half.

Gotta love home projects.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2006
  2. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

Got an old c10 I keep around for stuff like that too. Went to the quarry and picked up a load of gravel. The gravel in the bed weighed somewhere around 3600 lbs. Drove it home across town without a problem.

Old beater trucks just don't know when to quit. :)

3. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

you are crazy, bro.i've loaded trucks like that in the past.once a truck busted both springs at the same time. :rotfl: he asked what can i do, i said your done brother.i did load about 8600lbs into a mini van. my response after twenty years is "sure". :D

4. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i picked up 2 tons of concreet from the local feed stor in my bosses 91 1500 short bed, i had to go up louts grade, Cant rember the % of the grade but it is pretty dam steep, i can coast down it a 80+ in the mini.
    any way the truck was on the bump stops, i was convinced it was going to roast the tranny, i could only do 20 mph up the hill but it made it thna i had to lug those damn 90# bags up a hill for the fence we were building, that was the hardest i ever worked in my life!!! 1 90# bag, plus 1 peler core(fence post big green one) per hole i think there was around 80 posts.

5. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Many moons ago while working at a golf course in Missouri, I had to repair the results of a similar incident. One of our new guys was sent to add sand to the sand traps. He came walking back about an hour later, and said the truck would not move. I took him back in a cart to assess the problem. This numnutt had filled the bed of a 68 Dodge 1/2 ton up to the top of the cab!!! The weight had bent the axle tubes and bound the axles. had to empty the truck, drag it back to the shop and put another axle housing under it. I was amazed that the tires did not pop or the rear springs break.

6. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Hehe.

Thus the Chevy code prefix for 2 and 4 wheel owners like us.

C = Crazy, the average old nut who hauls way more than he should while squirming around on the blacktop.

K = Krazy, the psychotic 4 wheel nut who can't stop building his trucks and spending money on parts.

3 levels of insanity, 10 through 30.

7. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

I wish I had pics of my 86 C10 back when I was in highschool Id go pick up rocks in the fields during planting season, That truck would get loaded level with the top of the box sides and a little mound...yet another reason that 700R4 chooses not to shift to this day :D

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Scary..

I've overloaded my 74 K20 a good many times!--I was expecting an axle to snap off or the springs to break at least a few times!--the worst ride was when the Detroit Diesel out of an Alis-Chamlers bulldozer was loaded into the flatbed with a forkloader,the overload coil springs I had between the axle tube and bump stops were completey squashed together(and the leaf springs had 9 leafs too!)--it was a 3 mile horror ride,it actually drove and handled pretty good considering,until a slight death wobble started at 30 mph--then I realized the brakes did little when I went to stop!

We made it to the scrapyard,It weighed in a 4000lbs!--and my K20 weighed 6300 lbs empty!!--not bad for a 14 bolt SF axle and a dana 44 8 lug front!--on the way home the rag joint failed on the steering colum,and I nearly crashed it!--I blame the big magnet at the scrapyard that "unloaded" the motor(pretty amazing to see a two ton engine jump off your truck and stick to a big magnet! :yikes: )--I think the cab almost came off too,and ripped the rag joint in half! :blush:

Yesterday I started stripping the K20 and while taking the bed bolts off,I was able to punch holes in the frame with a ball peen hammer!--and it looks like de-laminated plywood,and there's about 1/8 of an inch left on it,and the spring shackles and hangers are rotted swiss cheese!--I cant believe it didnt crumble into dust that day,and I wasn't forced to junk it along with that motor! :blush: --its amazing what abuse GM trucks can take before finally dying!--Ive seen ford trucks buckle in the middle when filled with crushed stone--they hole sawed giant holes in the frame right where the strength is needed most between the cab and bed.. :screwy:

I remember filling a B100 Dodge van with as many cement blocks we could stack and stuff into it--I barely could fit in to ride home!--it was about 2 inches off the ground,and we dragged the muffler over every speed bump and dip in the road--could only drive at 25 mph or less before it started swaying wildly!--but we made it--did it twice,hauled enough cinder blocks to build a garage in 2 trips! :blush: --glad it wasn't MY van.. :crazy: