Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

More 14 bolt questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mudstud, Jun 13, 2002.

1. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

When I get back from vacation I'm going to look at a FF14 bolt out of a mid 80s van. I know I'll have to relocate the perches and shock mounts but I have a question about IDing a gov-loc. I know they have 3 cross pins but does an open dif have 3 also? Does it look simular to a 12 bolt gov-loc, big chunk, lil springs and stuff? Never been into a FF before, will the same hub socket you use on the front work on this axle? Do you need a hub socket to get into the brakes? I'm so ignorant. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif If this thing turns out to be a gov-loc is Chevy the only place I can get an open carrier to run a detroit? Any body know the cost on that?

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

You don't need a hub socket to work on a rear axle, but if you swap in a 3/4 front axle, you will need to buy a 3/4 socket.

3. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Gov-loc has 3 posts open has 4.

If it is a gov-loc get a gear set + carrier from the jukyard (after inspecting it). What ratio do you want?

To pull the hubs you will need the hub socket - mine was the 6 point socket (not hex).

I can get the KD tool number for you if someone doesn't post it ...... Anyone have it memorized?

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You can buy a new open carrier from 4 wheel parts for about 160.00 or so. Make sure of the gear ratio you are going to run as to get the correct carrier, 4.10 down or 4.56 up.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

For some years you do need a hub socket. My 14-bolt came out of a '74 GMC pickup and has 6 slots on the hub nuts, instead of the 4 slots used on the front. I've got a neat socket from Mac Tools that fits both the front and rear. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif