Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

More 14b diff covers!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Zeus33rd, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I put together another one today and took some more uptodate pictures showing the correct drainplug. And these aren't taken on the entryway in my appt. :crazy::)

Drain plug-
    [​IMG]

Another of the drainplug. Notice flush with the surface-
    [​IMG]

Inside-
    [​IMG]

Look for a new design on the 14b covers soon. I need to come up with something that doesn't take so much time to hand fit together. And something thats not quite so blocky and "ugly"..lol! Also, look for a D60 cover very soon. I'm going to try to figure out a way to make a drain plug work on the 60 cover as well. Gonna take some thinkin to design something that won't get mangled from rocks and other trail stuff. Now go to my post in the Vendor forum and buy some of my sh1t! :D:D

2. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

how much gear oil does that hold? looks about 5 gallons to me:D

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Am I just really tired, or does anyone else not see a way to add fluid?

EDIT: *smacks self* just remembered you add fluid in the pinion *smacks self again*

4. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

A 14 bolt has a plug to add fluid in the housing. So you don't need one in the cover.

5. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

Keep practicing those welds. You're getting there:surepal: :whistle: :haha:

6. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

yeah id be curious to know how much extra fluid capacity is over stock, those things will probably hold in some heat with as thick as they are. I would definitely be interested in one as long as I wouldnt have to worry about things getting too hot. Maybe I could weld on some cooling fins or something on the back to help that.

7. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

\

that is what the vents for:thumb:

8. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Hey Joe about how long does it take to weld one of those up now? Last time I heard was a little bit over an hour. :laugh:

9. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

Someone has spent sometime behind a welder! DANG!:bow:

10. Zeus33rd

Well, just welding, after fitting and tacking it all together, takes 'bout half an hour. Thats the easy/fun part. There's prolly a good 1.5-2 hours of plasma cutting, grinding, drilling and fitting on top of that. :D

11. Zeus33rd

Another thing I thought of...A fill plug can also be added to the back of the cover too. The one on the housing is a bitch to get too, having one on the cover itself would make things alot easier. Sucks trying to add fluid to the one on the housing. :D

12. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

One feature of the 14 Bolt is the location of the fill plug. As you angle the pinion up, the fill hole moves up, allowing you to keep the oil level pretty close to the same with respect to the pinion bearings...assuming you still "fill to overflow".

13. Zeus33rd

I lost my job again on Monday, (long goddamn story) so atleast for the time being this is my only source of income. I need to make products that are more appealing to the masses- Lets be honest, those 14b covers are butt ugly.:blush::D I'm going to redesign the 14b cover, and design a 60 cover as well. Maybe D44/10b/12b stuff as well. Do you guys think I should stay with an all 3/8" plate design? Or maybe 3/8" thick ring and 1/4" thick cover? I can do bumpers and general fab stuff too. Maybe I'll figure out a rear shackle flip design as well. If one of you guys has some kind of "one off" project you need done, I can do whatever. Cover's for out of the ordinary diffs, bumpers etc. I don't have a bender yet, so I can't do any tube work at this time. But anything else is game. If you have a design you like, shoot me some pictures or a drawing and I'll see what I can do. Like I said, this is my only source of income for the time being, so I need all the work I can get.

14. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

I assuming the axle tube vent right? If so I dont see how that could let out that much heat, sure a little bit but it seems like it would just be mainly for letting the expansion of gases to escape when things get warmer.

15. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

I dont think those covers are ugly, and lets be honest, Ive been accused of being a poser (I always counter w/ the fact I have had primer on my truck for 2 yrs, wtf) more than once. That nice flat area on em would give alot of room to write a nice msg to the drivers behind you lol. Sounds like somethin Id do.

O yeh, #2000.

16. xanthias

xanthias 1/2 ton status

Sorry to hear about the work situation. I think good fabricators are never down for long, though, so GL and take heart!

As for the covers, I personally favor beef over beauty. It's clear your covers can be rammed into stumps and punched over rocks and be damned hard to break. I think that [ok, kind of dumb] Lee jeans old slogan, "Can't bust 'em" needs to be your motto in fabbing, so I would stay with 3/8". Adding more applications for the '60, etc. is a good idea. I wouldn't waste time doing much 10-bolt designing.

17. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I was thinking that a fill plug on the cover would be nice also. Would it work to put one on the top, the side just opposite of the drain? Would the body be in the way of filling?

A cheap/easy shackle flip would be cool, and would likely sell well if it was affordable.

18. Zeus33rd

I don't think having a fill plug at the top would be such a good idea, it could lead to over filling.

As for the rest of this stuff, I just got back from talking with http://qualitymetalfabrication.com/ about laser cutting the diff rings and possibly press brake bending parts for the rest of the cover. All depends on the costs of course. :)