Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

More 14ff Measurements needed

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BowtieBlazer, Oct 16, 2003.

1. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Add this one to the archive...after reading this post: [ QUOTE ]
    Greg's specs

[/ QUOTE ]

Here are the specifics I need....
    (1)from the driver's side backing plate mount to the near side of the spring mount
    (2)from the passengers side backing plate to the nearest side of the spring mount

before reading his post and after getting frustrated enough with my old mounts being welded and rewelded I bought new spring mounts and starting on a clean slate with an angle finder /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif I still messed it up by welding the spring mounts the right distance apart, but my axle now is off centered which equals dogwalking and bad driveline angle (side to side) /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Hmm... This is pretty easy for you to figure out youself with a tape meausre and 3rd grade math. Measure distance from backing plate to backing plate. Measure distance between outside edges of spring pads. Subtract distance between spring pads from distance between backing plates. Divide the product in half. That number should be the distance that each spring pad should be from the backing plate, so long as the spring pads are the proper distance apart right now.

3. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Hmm... This is pretty easy for you to figure out youself with a tape meausre and 3rd grade math. Measure distance from backing plate to backing plate. Measure distance between outside edges of spring pads. Subtract distance between spring pads from distance between backing plates. Divide the product in half. That number should be the distance that each spring pad should be from the backing plate, so long as the spring pads are the proper distance apart right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, that is exactly how I set mine up. I needed 40" center to center distance or 42.5" outside to outside with a 2.5" wide perch. Measure the distance from backing plate flange to flange, subtract 42.5" and divide by two.

That is pretty much the only way to do it in your garage, it is vitually impossible to find the center of a 14BFF and measure out from that.

My math must have been correct, it bolted up right on the money!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif