Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

more 305 power

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jd70ssclone, Feb 14, 2007.

1. jd70ssclone

jd70ssclone 1/2 ton status

hey guys i have a 305 in my 86 k5 blazer i was wondering what i should do to it to make it perform a little better.i would drop a 350 in it but im still in highschool were it will cost me 1100 every six months to insure it so thats not gunna happen so what should i do? thanks
    josh

2. JohnDeere

JohnDeere 1/2 ton status

what the insurance people dont know wont hurt them

3. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

X2 on that. They go by the vin number, I believe, and it should show a 305. The extra .7 liters you would be adding would be none of their concern :D

But if you stick with it headers would be a good thing and a good exhaust would be a start.

4. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

A 350 will get you far, FAR further than anything else :deal:

Don't bother on anything else before that, IMO

5. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

I agree, it is commonly known that when you have a 305, that switching the 0 and the 5 around means more power.

6. chromewontgetyouhome

chromewontgetyouhome Registered Member

If you are going to upgrade your 305 then stick to parts that you can swap over to your 350 when its time to upgrade, ie distributor, intake manifold, exhaust, high flow water pump, etc.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Going to go along with the crowd. If you can't wait, stick to things that will bolt on a 350 as well, but if it runs good, don't mess with it. You aren't going to bolt on 50 more HP (at least without spending a lot of $$) and that money is better spent on a 350.

Headers if you need exhaust anyways, other than that, I wouldn't waste my time and money. I don't have a particular dislike for the 305, the one I had was plenty reliable, it's just not a good motor to try and make a lot of power with. It can be done, but anything you do to a 305 will make more power on a 350. :)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2007
  8. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

i agree, but with a slight twist. yes, only do mods that will bolt on to the 350, once you actually get one, but also be sure to only do mods that you'd want on the 350 in the first place. no point in spending money just to spend money. and honestly, if you're worried about 2200 bucks a year, you probably shouldn't be throwing tons of money at non-essential upgrades, anyway. save it up and do something really good with it later instead of a bunch of piddly junk, now. my 2 cents.

9. Skull Leader

Skull Leader Registered Member

I have a 305 too, 1987. If and when I get a new engine, I'm going bigger than a 350, that's for sure. That's if I can't get a newer Vortec or somethin. A 350 would have to be stroked to 383 or 396 for me. Otherwise, 400, 454, etc.

For my gas sipping stock 305, I will get exhaust mostly, headers, catback with mandrel bend pipes, cutout... for air intake, I'm not too familiar with a throttle body injection. For my LT1, I stuck a dryer hose to a K&N, was awsome. I heard a RV cam is good too. :confused:

10. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

on the insurance mine is registered as a long bed half ton diesel. but what they dont know that would make my insurance higher is that it is a short bed 3/4ton with a 350.:D as long as the vin number says its a 305, thats what the insurance will go by.

11. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

btw, maybe you should just find some better insurance. i was looking at chevelles, for a while, and geico didn't care if it was a malibu with a 327, an ss with 454 or 396, or a wagon full of pancakes with whatever under the hood. they were most interested in model and age of vehicle. same for trucks, in my case. it really was so simple that a caveman could do it. was it really lame to quote the commercial? i promise i don't work for them.

12. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

305s are trash. Trust me, I just blew one. Everyone keeps telling me to get it rebuilt. That would be a waste of money. Go for the 350, then you'll at least have something to work with.

13. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Let's keep your personal life out of the engine talks please? :doah: :haha: :p: :D

305's are not "trash" they are just not "builder" motors. For the cost of building a somewhat powered 305, a really nice built 350 could be done. 305's were only meant for easier fuel mileage, with enough power to get the vehicle moving without too much struggle...

When you go racing and beating on a stock or mild 305, it's not going to like it, don't think they like revving much past 4500rpm anyways.

I also agree though, for the cash spent, you can very easily find a stock 350, and that alone over the 305 will gve you a much greater difference in power.

14. MaxPF

MaxPF 1/2 ton status

Maybe you should ask NateInChandler what he did to his "305" to make it run like a good 350 :rolleyes:

15. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Maybe i'll do that, and then we can discuss how much more power a 350 will have made if the same components to make this 305 were used on it.

I am not trashing on 305's, i have had them in the past, even tried this power adding stuff to them, all i am saying is they are not the most popular to build, due to the easy access to a 350, and again, just the basic engine swap from 305 to 350 is a significant increase.

16. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

454 CID

17. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

falling alittle behind on the times? i thought the new deal was the

572 C.I.D.

:D :haha:
    Or am I falling behind and something bigger available :p:

18. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Yeah!!!!!! Baby!