Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

More 57'' F**d spring questions:

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Blazinaire, Jun 27, 2002.

1. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

More 57\'\' F**d spring questions:

I currently have 52'' springs and ORD shackle flip. I am planning on installing 57'' springs soon, but don't want to buy the springs and run into unseen problems afterwards. Please correct me if any of the following is incorrect: 52'' springs center pins are centered, therefore 26'' from front hanger. 57'' springs center pins are 27'' from front hanger. To maintain stock axle location after swapping in 57''s, I will have to move the axle 1'' FORWARD. If I use the ORD brackets on opposite sides, I will gain 2 1/2'' from front hanger without drilling new holes. To make the 57''s fit, I will have to flip my ORD brackets and move them 2 1/2'' back to make up for the 5'' longer spring. Ride height of the 52''s and 57''s will be roughly the same. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Anyone who has done this swap run into any other issues? Thanks in advance for clearing things up for me /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif !

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: More 57\'\' F**d spring questions:

I'm pretty sure the Ford 57's are 25" and 32"...so the axle has to go back 1". We have a 96 F150 parts truck at work and it measured 25.5" from the center of the front spring eye bolt to the center of the axle...

Rene

3. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

4. Blazinaire

Okay, now I understand the center pin distance and how to "build" a new pack by mixing in a couple chevy springs /forums/images/icons/smile.gif . Is my info on using the ORD brackets on opposite sides correct?

5. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Yes turn them around. I am going to be doing the same thing only I have a set of 56" GM springs. If I find a set of 57" springs for cheap before I do the swap I am thinking about using them and going with a longer shackel and not moving the hanger back as far so it will droop alot more. I am waiting untill I have everything to put a new fuel pump in so I only have to drop the tank once.

6. Blazinaire

So I will gain 2 1/2'' by turning them around then right?

7. DaveCowley

DaveCowley 1/2 ton status

[I have a question about the mixing and matching of leafs. What would happen if you used your chevy main leaf and mixed and matched with the F150 leafs for the other three. Would this make the springs softer and thus give better flex without changing my shackle flip around or moving my spring hanger?]

I posted that on the other forum about the F150 leafs too but thought that it may not get looked at as much now so what do you all think?

Dave Cowley

88 Jimmy 1 ton locked on 36's

8. rocnwilly

rocnwilly 1/2 ton status

which leaves do from the Chevy pack do u add to the Ford pack?