Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MORE 60s chevys again......

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hi pinion, Nov 15, 2004.

1. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Does anyone know , or have a pic of an older 60-63 chevy apache 4x4 undercarrage? I am looking at one, but , i want to MAKE SURE it is the original frame, and has the neapco kit. Not the blazer frame. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

3. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Look at the axles they will be the give away they have a unique look. Also the frame of that era will not have a Vin stamped into it near the passenger front tire. Just a few clues to go by /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

I am right now....... but , how can i tell if its some other frame?? or some other vehicle??? I want to MAKE sure if im buying a vehicle like this ,its not a blazer or suburban frame. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifIs there any dead givaways?? Another member told mre the vin is stamped on the left framerail. In the wheel whell on blazers, and NOT on the older style chevys /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. JDBlazer454

In 1962 they had a low production quantity and only 32 were made that year, so be leery.

6. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

WHAT????? Only 32??? Is there any other right way to do the convesion??? Other than neapco?? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

I mean , ive been seeing alot of conversions, but im not interested in any of that. BTW , could the guy could have bought the neapco conversion afterwards?? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifPlease answer all. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. JDBlazer454

According to popular legend that you could order a Napco conversion anytime after you bought the truck, have heard of them doing it a year afterwards. Its been done and who knows.

9. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Ok, i dont really care if its a neapco or not,i guess, if its got a 60 , wouldt it be better??? I mean , isnt there a way to properly mount a 60 in these old things?? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifBTW ..... is it either NEAPCO....or funky?? Is this the only way?? to make it 4x4?? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

[​IMG] AHHHH... come on ck5 ....HELP!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I just want to make sure its not funky ,and not a whole OTHER frame./forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.BTW ,,, can you do these up right withought the kit?? with a 60,14ff etc?? Or is isnt all napco/ it isnt RIGHT? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Napco was the way it was done...doesn't mean it's the best way or only way. Hell, at best it's primitive compared to a 60/14.

The only reason to have a hard-on for the Napco version is if you're restoring the truck for show and it has to be dead original.

Rene

12. James670X

James670X 1/2 ton status

If it has a Dana 60 front diff. (not original equipment), I would be very leary of it. tRustyK5 hit it right on the head when he said it has to be absolutely without a doubt dead original in order for it to be worth restoring. I would think that the frame rails on the 1ton would have to be unique (ie. thicker than the lighter duty 1/2 and 3/4s).

13. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

i suppose if i see a bunch of funkey monkey crap welded everywhere, that would help. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Its a difficult one. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

/forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif You are killing me Jake!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif Why would you want an old non factory 4x4 clunker????? /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif
    You said you want something that you could drive around and use to haul stuff when needed and also be a good weekend wheeler. You think you can do that with some early 60's converted 4x4 without dumping a bunch of cash into it to make it half way reliable and still be without "modern" simple factory equipment like power steering, power brakes, front disks instead of 4 wheel drum for darned sakes!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif You think your wife would even consider driving it for you without those important things? You want 35" tires...you want to manually turn those suckers? /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

What happened to a M1008 or similar civi version????

BTW, it's a NAPCO conversion, not a NEAPCO, as in neapco u-joints. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

ok, just a thought. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Some people prefer older trucks and don't care about creature comforts. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif If I lived out there you can bet your ass I'd drive in a mid-50s pickup every day.

17. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Some people prefer older trucks and don't care about creature comforts. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif If I lived out there you can bet your ass I'd drive in a mid-50s pickup every day.

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

18. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

[​IMG] /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

20. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [​IMG] /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Whatever Bobby, this things bad ass. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif