Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

More 700R4 help needed

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by WhiteWhomper, Feb 12, 2002.

1. WhiteWhomper

WhiteWhomper 1/2 ton status

OK guys, I am really up against it now. I just finished installing a used 700 in my Jimmy (2nd one in two weeks) that I know was working when it was removed. Now that I have this thing all back together again, I filled it with new fluid and when I started it up and put it gear, nothing.. no forward, no reverse. All lines are hooked up, torque converter bolts in, shift linkage works....HELP!!!! What the hell am I doing wrong?

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

How much fluid did you put in? Was the torque converter filled when you installed the tranny? If not the fluid you put in was probably pumped into the TC.

I helped out FortCollinsRam replace his 700 last weekend. What we did was put a gallon on fluid in the tranny, started the truck in neutral for 30 sec. Shut it off, put in another gallon and let it run for 30 sec. Then let it set for a 1/2 hour (lunch) and then started the truck up and let it heat up, and filled it till it said it was full. All in all it took about 3 gallons of fluid to fill from bone dry to full. Also is your transfer case in gear? Sometimes it is the simple stuff.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

3. WhiteWhomper

I've got seven quarts of fluid in it now, so that should be enough to get it circulating. I checked the t-cases, and they're both in gear.

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

7 quarts wont even fill the TC. Like Hoss said it takes about 3 gals to fill a 700 if everything has been drained including the torque convertor. the torque convertor has to be full before your trans will even start to work. Check the dip stick. add fluid till up to the full line, start truck , let idle a few. check dip stick add fluid. repeat this procudure till the tranny is full.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze> Blazer pics</a>

<font color=blue>Nevada... Where the pavement ends and the west begins

5. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

I bet you will use between 8 to 10 quarts. We put a 700r4 in my buddies truck with an external cooler and used 10 quarts of fluid

6. WhiteWhomper

I went out and drained the fluid and started agian this morning, and it seems that the transmission is not picking up the fluid. After about five quarts of fluid, it just keeps filling up the case, but doesn't seem to be going up to the torque converter. I'm still baffled. I did find out that the TV cable hole doesn't seal too well when the tranny is overfilled, but I'm still no closer to figuring out why this thing stopped working. Any tranny people out there wanting to make a little side $ to help diagnose this thing?

7. extremeblazer

extremeblazer 1/2 ton status

I am a transmission rebuilder and have worked at a few tranny shops and my own rebuilding transmissions. I rebuild more 700's then anything. You said it was working before removed. So I take it you didn't do much to it? Replace the filter? If you did you may have left the old filter neck seal in the pump, this happens alot. The filter will then be pushed down into the bottom of the pan and have a bad neck seal. Result, no pump vacuum to pick up fluid. Also If the converter is not installed correctly it will not engage the pump drive lugs and the pump will never work, this I see alot. Also did you remove the valve body for anything. Sometimes the manule shift valve linkage will look attached but once shifted it will come undone in the pan. The tranny will come out of park but the valve will never move.

8. WhiteWhomper

Thanks, I will check out those issues tonight

9. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

That little filter neck seal is a PITA. I didn't see mine at first. I was going back over the book and got a flashlight out to look at it, sure enough, still there.

You got any other little tips? I'm putting mine back together tonight. I lost 4th so I tore it down, found a few clutchs missing, well, they were a pile of goo in the pan.

Thanks for the help

Kyle
    89K5

10. WhiteWhomper

AAAUUUGGGHHH!!! I'd kick my dog, but the bastard runs to fast. Well, I drained all the fluid, dropped the pan and replaced the filter, making sure to get out the old seal and checked everything out. All the linkage is in working order, nothing loose. I pulled loose the torque converter and slid it back trying to see if it was engaging and it felt like it was. Hard to tell. I did notice that when spinning the converter, it would drag down about once every 1/2 to 3/4 revolution which I am unsure if that was something wrong or was the pump catching. In any case, I filled it back up with fluid and still nothing, No forward or reverse. In fact, it doesn't seem to be picking up any of the fluid in the pan at all. The fluid is way up the dipstick. Any other ideas? Is the front pump out? If there are any tranny guys here in the Denver area that would like to earn a few bucks and beer to help me diagnose this thing, let me know.

11. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

I hate to say this but you want to pull it back out and then check to make sure the two prongs on the pump are not broke. I put the TC on the fly wheel first to lighten the load(hand lifting the tranny in place)and forgot to re-seat it in the pump. OOOPS Oh well check the prongs on the pump sounds like the pump isn't spinning or you got a vacume lock. Happens with Hydraulics alot. Good luck. I went throught the same thing about a year ago.

Brian
    83 K-5 4" on 35's

12. WhiteWhomper

Well, tomorrow night, the tranny and t-cases must come out. At leat the place I bought the tranny from are standing behind their product, and swapping me out with another 700r4. The pisser thing about it, is that I spent alot of time cleaning up and painting the one I have to take back. Looked nice....worked like poop. Have any idea what it is like to remove and install a complete doubler set up? My little tranny jack always looks like it is going to colapse.